reseed deleted torrent... my own

jayfly

i recently uploaded a torrent, but after i did the site said it was deleted or removed... so i deleted the torrent on my utorrent... then i go check my account on the torrent site and the torrent i deleted is under my torrents but with no seeds cause my dumb ass deleted it.... can i save it or do i have to delete and start all over again... i still have the torrent in the same file it was created in just... just i "remove and delete torrent" on utorrent... thanx

i still have all the files in the same location that i started the torrent in... and i cant download them from my own account on the torrent site cause i would have been the first and only seed... i just need to know how to restart....each time i try it just says downloading 0.0% and that isnt what i want to do....

i removed and delete torrent on utorrent... how do i undo that or restart.. thank you

i know i can just remake the torrent and upload again... but i just want to know how to do it if its possible... if that makes sense

@jayfly

Good if you found a solution to your problem though I did not really understand the point since you initially wrote "i recently uploaded a torrent" so to me it would mean that you created and initially seeded the torrent?!? Additionally in case you removed and deleted the torrent than your .torrent file would have been deleted too... Only way would have been to re-create one which of course would have been easy and hassle free if you did not change anything to the folder you used to put all your files for the first (deleted) torrent creation. The point here would be that the torrent hash should be the same otherwise you would have to announce the new one again and to delete the old one from the site where you announced (indexed) it.

But anyway maybe I did not understand what you intended to say so if schnurlos could help you everything is fine. :)

Yes I got it. :D The "torrents world" can be very ambiguous at times when people are tallking about 'torrent' while it can be interpreted as the whole set of files (data) as well as the metadata .torrent file too. Same applies when the word 'file' is used instead of 'torrent' (usually many files) or for instance the word 'peer' which can be seen as 'leech' but of course may also be a 'seed' which from another angle is precisely the opposite of a peer... :/

So in this case he had 2 possibilities to "recover", either by doing what you advised (and he obviously did with success) or by recreating the .torrent file which is what I would have done in this situation.

I must admit that at some point in time it was not very clear to me because as you certainly know the .torrent file is not compulsory to start with if you use for instance a magnet URI. Also you may upload only some content description (metadata) to some indexing servers which are not keeping any copy of the .torrent file but only pointing to others having it, like with magnet URI. In that case suffice to know the torrent hash and at least a tracker who got the announce... But nowadays still most of the times a .torrent has been uploaded (and sometimes redownloaded) and is kept by some server which AFAIK must not be the same than the one hosting the tracker. TPB for instance stopped their tracker but kept the indexing and the .torrents storage (until they will also drop the last one I expect).

Anyway thanks for your input which I appreciated. :)

No no, absolutely straight forward as long as you did not change anything to the files / directories (names and structure, file order settings) and you use the same piece size, private torrent settings or not and the same client. :)

So if you did not touch your data structure it should be done very easily (though since you probably would not have the old hash to be sure you'd have to wait to see if someone is interested to be sure it worked...)

• 2 weeks later...

yes everything worked great the first time... i have a new and similar problem... i have a torrent posted on a site and i deleted the original torrent but still have the files... now i dont really know why this is different but i cant go advanced and set file location... so i tried to create a new torrent using an updated tracking code and still a no go... can i salvage this and reseed the torrent i uploaded in the past? i have 2 seeds on the site and i just want to be able to support my own stuff too... i have a feeling i might have to give more detail about the site in general... that or this might be more complicated than its worth... get at me please so i can keep learning and helping to share... thanx again

so i tried to create a new torrent using an updated tracking code and still a no go...

What do you mean with "tracking code"? If you want to say that you used another tracker than this should not be the problem because the trackers do not influence the torrent hash. So if you create again a torrent with exactly the same settings and files but with different trackers it should work IMO.

But as schnurlos explained above the easiest for you might be to simply redownload your .torrent file if you can retrieve it from somewhere. Pointing the file location to the folder where your original files are saved should really do the trick. You might do a so called force re-check by right clicking on the torrent in the main job window and after the needed (long) time you should have all your peaces again as if you just downloaded the complete torrent. Then start the seeding.

I don't see what more I could tell you. Hope it helps. :)

Archived