Freezes (v1.4+) - Win98se, WRT54G(v2.2 w/OPEN-WRT/Others) No PC FW/AV

triggernum5

PII-266 w/288MB PC66 (Slots/Ram thoroughly tested!)

4 Hdds (5 partitions) (No CD/DVD)

No overclocking, or major bios/mobo tweaks

Win98se - No Firewall/AV/SpywareStopper/Spyware at all on PC

(Much better to have a perfect Ghost Image and take 15 minutes to return the system to godliness, than deal with that crap)

Also tried win98se with Embedded IE stripped out earlier.

Local ISP 3Mb/768 DSL (Super barebones ISP.. Definately p2p friendly)

Static 192.168.1.100

Set Up as a Network Server with full read-ahead cache optimization (In /MyComputer/Properties)

Apps Running (But 100% not causing the problem, since it occurs no matter what runs):

µtorrent

Abyss Web Server

Mysqld

No-IP Updater

EPrompter (pop/web Email checker) <-- So small, so nice! What does that sound like?:)

Tightvnc server (quite often)

Random apps during usage:

Lynx Browser

IE 5.5

Firefox

(They each have a convenience)

Putty

telnet

WinSCP/SCP

FileZilla Client

ncftp client

Explorer

cygwin (rarely)

Alot of streaming video over SMB to my xbox.. (µtorrent/RSS + modded xbox = sweet!)

WRT54G v2.2 with SD card memory upgrade mod, USB and Sound Mods too.

(These have proven stable for quite a while, and at the moment I'm not even utilizing them.. I currently have as barebones as OPENWRT allows (which is pretty bare!) But again, I have tried virtually every compatible firmware)

This PC -> Wired port1

Listen port = 32459

All versions 1.4+ do this.. 1.3 seems flawless.. Its not a 100% freeze.. My mouse moves, but the only thing that ever responds is Ctrl Alt Del, even that is slow.. It doesn't matter what task I attempt to kill, result is always A SMIDGIN' of response, although never enough to successfully close any app before BSODs

I Find it necessary with all clients to only download torrents to non system drives if I don't pre-allocate (No surprise w/FAT32)

Don't laugh at my system, I use like its a powerhouse! (Well, Ok Laugh:)

Advanced Settings all default, and have basically tried every permutation previous to posting.

Now:

Connections/Torrent = 50 (100 Total)

Up Speed = 35KB/s (This is as high as I can set it before the speed graph becomes jumpy.. 35KB/s is usually a relatively straight line.)

Down = 0

Dht = on

These are not the issue either.. The freezes occur regardless of traffic/connection/#torrents, at seemingly random times.. Usually hours into downloading, but I can almost guarantee a frozen PC when I wake up

Speed/Connections are not my problem at all.. I can max out my downstream if I really try.. This problem may be Win98 related, I haven't seen a really similar thread in the huge list of "Utorrent Problem" threads.. Unfortunately this issue makes crash dumping a problem Sorry..

Hmm, I just realized that I have tdimonsys.vxd (Sysinternals TDIMon) loaded.. I shall see if that is the issue.. But aside from that, this machine is pretty streamlined.. I hope this provides enough info to atleast determine what the issue is..

Hilarious so far.. Its worked alot longer than normal.. (~8 hours so far while working on the pc, but I've run 1.3 steady for more than a week in the past, and thats on 98se!).. The thing that makes it hilarious, is that that was the first setting I really focused on, and I tried every power of 2 from 256 to 8192 figuring any higher would be BLATANT overkill, and I saw ABSOLUTELY no behaviour change.. Then 1 exponent higher, and so far that alone resolves all? My luck sucks..:)

Hope I'm not claiming success too early.. I'll obviously be back if things return to old ways..

Well, It crashed since my last post.. Which made me realize something.. I hadn't streamed much (if any) video to xbox media centre yesterday while things were good for µtorrent 1.4+.. Not that SMB streaming crashes it instantly at all.. I put 4 episodes on the playlist, when I went to bed, and was awake for more than 2 episodes.. Then I woke up to a frozen pc.. I figure write_queue can have 64MB if it wants it, but I'm not confident unless a huge write queue merely lowers the probabilityof a crash by reducing write opportunities.. v1.3 is 100% stable.. Logic dictates that 1.3 should crash as well if its related to writes.. Like I said earlier, it'll take a while to guage success, so I'll go try some things and wait while thoroughly taxing my smb stream..

Might actually be worth looking into this possible smb bug.. I can just as easily ftp the files rather than stream I suppose.. Not that I expect you guys to go to this level of bug tracking, but xbmc is open source (C++ but xbox DK needed to compile) on sourceforge.. I kinda doubt they have a bug since I've upraded xbmc constantly, and they seemingly worked out smb streaming years ago in their project..

Not crashing.. µtorrent has never once popped up an illegal action msgbox, or mysteriously shutdown.. The end result is:

-Can move mouse

(If I try to click to many things it will fill the buffer and beep on any further movement.. Similar to a full keyboard buffer on bootup)

-The only thing that ever responds is Ctrl Alt Del.. Takes about 10 sec to pop up taskman..

(At this point, regardless of what program I kill, even if I just exit taskman I am allowed the SLIGHTEST response.. eg I might be able to display a tray menu before the system goes back to 99% frozen, and once the task manager has been opened/closed, BSODs are soon to folow, and there is 0% chance of restoring the system.

-Just realized that I have no idea whether my clock continues to show correct time, or whether it stalls with the system/disk..

One thing I'm gonna try is eliminating virtual memory.. Had a brainstorm when I typed "system/disk".. If its disk related, then it stands to reason that VM can transform that to a system issue..

Lastly, once I got more than normal response, and was actually able to attempt to close utorrent from its menu.. Needless to say, didn't go well.. The program chugged and chugged as the system went BSOD, and that was the only time any of my downloads got corrupted, which also leads me to think hdd, but as I said, I always download to other drive's'.. Never C:\, so it seems a bit odd unless it has to do with the bus..

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 1:21:31 PM, on 17/02/06

Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL

C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE

C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE

C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

C:\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLD.EXE

C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk

C:\WINDOWS.000\EXPLORER.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\UTORRENT.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ABYSS WEB SERVER\ABYSSWS.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\NO-IP\DUC20.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ABYSS WEB SERVER\ABYSSWS.EXE

C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE

D:\HIJACKTHIS 1.99.1 [ENGLISH]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd={SUB_PRD}&clcid={SUB_CLSID}&pver={SUB_PVER}&ar=home

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakLogon

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [schedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\mstask.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MySQLD] c:\MySQL\bin\mysqld.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [µTorrent] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\UTORRENT.EXE"

O4 - Startup: abyssws.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\abyssws.exe

O4 - Startup: DUC20.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\No-IP\DUC20.exe

O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = MSHOME

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 192.168.1.1,216.8.137.204

As per request..

Note, the 2 abyss's exist because one is the server, and the other is the tray app..

I run a tight ship on this pc.. If I suspect spyware/virii I simple reinstall my Ghost Image which I made right after a fresh install with used apps..

Also note that none of these apps change anything.. Had the same isuue with/without each and every one..

Edit: The BSODs are somewhat expected given the circumstances.. They only occur after the system is 99% frozen and I start trying to recover what is just plain lost..

• 2 weeks later...
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd={SUB_PRD}&clcid={SUB_CLSID}&pver={SUB_PVER}&ar=home

Why all the browser redirects in your registry? (That's typical of spyware, adware, and viruses.)

The various internet-using programs may be throwing µTorrent for a loop, try to see if you have any problems with µTorrent if they're shut down. Just a 1-night run ought to be good enough.

Same problem here. System freezes 99%.

I'm also quite confident it's not spyware/virusses or something like that, because I already tried reinstalling windows. Also I have defensewall wich blocks almost all spyware/viruses.

I run win xp pro sp2 on a pc with AMD athlon xp 2000 processor.

Files are downloaded to a 250 Gb external hdd western digital, of wich 83 Gb still free.

Mostly the computer freezes without warnings and needs te be rebooted.

Once I did get a message:

"Unable to save resume file.

Some data might be lost.

Another program might have the file open, or the disk is full.

Please correct this and click retry. If you press cancel, the resume file will not be saved."

I believe I was trying to close utorrent while system was freezing.

Not sure if this is the same problem, maybe it's a problem with the hdd?

I guess I can always try version 1.3, if thats the only thing that will work.

I did try running without defensewall enabled. I'll try uninstalling now.

Also, I forgot to mention the computer was checked for hardware-problems 2 months ago, because it kept crashing.

No problems were found. Turned out to be a conflict between my external hdd and wireless-network-adapter, both on USB.

Installing the network-adapter without the hdd plugged in corrected this problem.

Because it's only been 2 months since the check-up I'm more or less assuming it's not the computerhardware. It might stil be the external hdd, offcourse.

Archived