Latest uTorrent reporting too many peers in torrent list

equazcion

I'm using uTorrent version 2.0 build 17624 on Windows XP.

Since the last uTorrent update, I've been getting strange peer numbers in the torrent list. Here's a screenshot:

36825167.jpg

As you can see, the total number of peers being returned by the trackers in the bottom pane (only 79, even if you add all the trackers' peers together) don't add up to anywhere near the number shown in the top pane (263). I've seen discrepancies many times worse than this too. Inaccurate numbers are showing for basically all the torrents I load.

I only noticed this problem after the last update. Before that, when I've checked the numbers in the past, they all seemed to work out.

This doesn't seem like a big deal, but I thought you should know.

I think I understand you pretty well, I just disagree that this answers the question. If you're right, the announced number of peers should go down as more of them are recognized as seeds. But I haven't observed the seeds number grow, or the peers number go down.

And even if the peers number above is a combined total of as-yet-untested seeds/peers, then that number should equal, at most, the total number of seeds and peers reported in the scrapes by all the trackers in the lower pane. It doesn't.

I maintain that this is new behavior. I've also tested out creating new torrents, and they immediately say 4 peers in the top frame, and climb steadily despite my not having even uploaded the torrent once to anyone. I think the peers number is being inflated, and I think this is a bug in the newest version. I've always paid close attention to those numbers, and whatever is going on, it's new. I've never seen it do this before.

Edit:

PS. I see someone else reported the same issue at the announcement thread for this version: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=441699#p441699

They were answered in a similar way. I think this should be reconsidered. I'm continually studying the changing numbers and they continue to not make any sense, even considering this explanation. Again this never happened in previous versions. The top and bottom numbers always used to agree.

The tracker scrapes appear to be very unreliable then, consistently reporting hundreds less than the actual number. And again, this only started after the last update.

I suppose I'll have to wait and see if anyone else reports this before it can be considered a real issue (though at least one other person already did here).

You didn't even read my post. Or maybe you did, but didn't understand it.

Peerlists returned by the tracker DO NOT INDICATE WHETHER A PEER IS A SEED OR A LEECH. Therefore, µTorrent must lump them all together as just peers until it can connect and sort them correctly.

I saw your post, Firon, and I did respond. Even if peers and seeds are lumped together in the announcement (top pane), the scraping numbers in the bottom pane should total up to roughly the same number (peers + seeds returned by the trackers during scrapes). They don't though. The peer number in the top pane is higher than the total peers+seeds returned by the scrapes, and is usually off by a number in the hundreds.

As I also said, the peer number that appears immediately when creating a new torrent is also odd. It says I've got 4 or 5 peers immediately, even before I've posted the torrent to a tracker's site, and no trackers are reporting any peers or seeds.

Could the new UDP support have something to do with this?

To be honest, I was actually going to ask whether it occurred on torrents without UDP trackers. I also had this sneaking suspicion a few weeks ago that torrents with UDP trackers were causing funky scrape numbers, but haven't had time to look into anything due to finals and all. Anyhow, do absolutely illogical numbers ever present themselves with torrents without any such trackers?

FYI, one of the BitTorrent devs discovered that at least one UDP tracker software was sending bad UDP responses. The particular software was opentracker, which openbittorrent uses. So um, chances are, we're dealing with broken tracker responses here, and not some µTorrent bug (at least not apparently so thus far).

Archived