µTorrent doesn't allow me to see files I'm gonna download.

mfrwiz

Hi all :)

I really am an informatic noob but I love Torrents & µTorrent is the client I prefer. So I need your patience as well as your help.

µTorrent is getting me crazy for an unusual issue:

- when I make double click on a torrent file the windows that allows me to see what files I am going to download doesn't appear & the downloading process immediately starts. For this reason I can't select what file want or not download :(

I installed µTorrent stable or beta versions (always making a cleanup of registry entries & wiping out

empty µTorrent program folder and setting one [user/application data/µTorrent] without solve this problem.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Happy new year :))

• 4 weeks later...

That Prefs selection ought to be always checked by default - Is there some situation where the default settings were not applied?

As far as that new selection in the UI Prefs - That is a whole new thing, cos it aint there in 1.8.5.

I dont see why we would NOT want to see the list of files contained in the torrent - Sometimes,. with HUGE torrents that span multiple files, -Someone may want to opt to only download certain files in the torrent. I do this all the time, the source files are posted in one huge torrent, and I need to get in there to choose which files to take from it- Like the weekly updates only, cor a certain week.

The biggest torrent I ever dealt with like that, was something like 150 Gigabytes, and I just needed a file that was only 8 GB - I did not see why I needed to download all of the 150 Gigabytes just to obtain that 8 GB section which I needed.

I certainly hope that this is not a trend in the future, where we will NOT be able to see the files inside of a torrent - And be able to choose to download only that section we need? This is the whole reason people use uTorrent!

With small torrents it does not matter, but sometimes, it is better to have choices, and with Vist-Gug and Windblows 7, our choices are being severly taken away from us. This is NOT the direction the computing industry needs to move to, not by a long shot.

The option is enabled by default. If it was unticked, then I point to PEBKAC as the source of your problems. Don't touch options you don't understand. And I'm going to have to reiterate this: you are wrong. The option has existed since at least 1.6.0. I've been documenting the interface for the user manual since before then, so I would know.

In fact, I just checked, and found that it's been there since at least as far back as 1.5.0 (though 1.4.0 didn't have the option).

99298761.th.png 10714318.th.png

Yeah. Those are default options.

As for your other complaints, I think I've sufficiently addressed them here.

XweAponX...if you clicked on a magnet link, its possible a torrent would automatically start, but a .torrent link should pop up the box which allow you to choose which files and set other characterstics.

The fact that you don't know how to traverse down the list of files once it has started and choose which ones to skip slightly concearn me, unless of course you were able to download the extra 142GB of files so fast that you didn't have time to right click the unwanted files and stop them processing. In which case...do you need a roommate?

• 5 weeks later...

First off, Thank You Dreadwing Knight!!!

Second off, I'm not trying to start any arguments, but...

Third:

Hey Ultima,

Preferences - UI Settings - "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent"

Preferences - Directories - "Always show dialog on manual add"

This seems like a double setting? I think it would make sense to put that ticker under the UI Settings, As it seems kinda out of place to be hidden under directories, no?

I was inclined to look under the UI for options like this. Not placing blame either, But I never touched any settings under directory. Simply installed on the new machine and started torrenting.

Only time I messed with settings was when I didnt see the dialog, and only looked under UI, Hence the reason I didnt see this other option under directories.

And I know that it is out of your hands, But Windblows 7 x64 doesnt allow me to use peerguardian. Are you aware of any alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know, is there any chance to see this file selection dialog later, when some files are already loaded?

It would be extremely useful. For example if user have a huge torrent that he haven't downloaded completely and want to select few more files (which names are not perfect) later, it's quite tricky. At least it's tricky for me now. Are there any known solution?

• 2 years later...

Hello, all. I seem to be having a problem. uTorrent tells me I have no updates to download, but if true, why is it that when I open a magnet torrent link in uTorrent to download, the pre-download checklist doesn't show up at all, and if you press 'ok' proceeds to download the whole file at a time?

Please help!

This is what it looks like: http://ibthereforeibs.tumblr.com/post/20409695860

(Sorry, I had to put it on a website, because I'm not as tech-savvy as the rest of you and couldn't figure out how to insert an image here in html)

I am having a similar but not identical problem. I get the dialogue box, but it says the torrent has no files in it. If I start the download, however, the files come in, so if I want the whole thing it's no problem. But if I only want some files, there's no way for me to select them. Help??

I am having a similar but not identical problem. I get the dialogue box, but it says the torrent has no files in it. If I start the download, however, the files come in, so if I want the whole thing it's no problem. But if I only want some files, there's no way for me to select them. Help??

You go to the files tab, and select 'don't download' on the files you don't want....

<edited to add>

It really is incredibly hard to do... you know it's just the exact same way you've had to deselect files to download for oooh 6-7 years now?

• 1 month later...
Preferences - UI Settings - "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent"

I have the same problem. When I upgraded to version 3.1.3, the predownload checklist no longer shows up when I download a torrent. The "Preferences - UI Settings - "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" doesn't make it show up, and the "Preferences - Directories - "Always show dialog on manual add" is NOT on mine. Why is this such a hard issue to address?

This is annoying because now I have to start downloading a bunch of stuff I don't want, and then manually click on the "Files" tab and click "Don't Download" on every single file I don't want.

I am having a similar but not identical problem. I get the dialogue box' date=' but it says the torrent has no files in it. If I start the download, however, the files come in, so if I want the whole thing it's no problem. But if I only want some files, there's no way for me to select them. Help??[/quote']

You go to the files tab, and select 'don't download' on the files you don't want....

<edited to add>

It really is incredibly hard to do... you know it's just the exact same way you've had to deselect files to download for oooh 6-7 years now?

No, it is not. Some of us were able to select exactly what we wanted BEFORE downloading a torrent.

I have the same problem. When I upgraded to version 3.1.3' date=' the predownload checklist no longer shows up when I download a torrent. The "Preferences - UI Settings - "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" doesn't make it show up, and the "Preferences - Directories - "Always show dialog on manual add" is NOT on mine. Why is this such a hard issue to address?

This is annoying because now I have to start downloading a bunch of stuff I don't want, and then manually click on the "Files" tab and click "Don't Download" on every single file I don't want.[/quote']

Make sure you're in the columns view. There's a view toggle button in the top right.

I have the same problem. When I upgraded to version 3.1.3' date=' the predownload checklist no longer shows up when I download a torrent. The "Preferences - UI Settings - "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" doesn't make it show up, and the "Preferences - Directories - "Always show dialog on manual add" is NOT on mine. Why is this such a hard issue to address?

This is annoying because now I have to start downloading a bunch of stuff I don't want, and then manually click on the "Files" tab and click "Don't Download" on every single file I don't want.[/quote']

Make sure you're in the columns view. There's a view toggle button in the top right.

THANK YOU!

I am having a similar but not identical problem. I get the dialogue box' date=' but it says the torrent has no files in it. If I start the download, however, the files come in, so if I want the whole thing it's no problem. But if I only want some files, there's no way for me to select them. Help??[/quote']

<edited to add>

No, it is not. Some of us were able to select exactly what we wanted BEFORE downloading a torrent.

And you still can, if you get a TORRENT

If you get a MAGNET then there's no files listed because it doesn't know of the files yet. That's the way it's ALWAYS been

Archived