512Kbps Internet but 3 to max 10 kpbs

grieversoul

I have exactly the same problem, around a week and a half ago my speeds suddenly dipped from around 50kbs downloading (give or take) to 0-10kbs. I've tried all different virus and security checks, tried Azureus and utorrent, contacted my ISP (Biscit) who deny all knowledge etc. I've fiddled and tweaked everything but I just can't get my speed up even on really good torrents. As it happened so suddenly, and as others seem to have experienced the same thing, I'm wondering if there is something else going on. I have a modem, no router. I've tried turning off my fire wall, made no difference. So, if this isn't just me, but there are others like me, what outside influence could be messing with our speeds? (That sounds like I'm imagining a guy on a grassy knoll, but I swear I'm not! I'm based in the UK, could there be others like me with the same problem?

Funny, I just tried that, my upload speed has gone way up (but I already had a ratio of 4.8. Yes, that is not a typo, my upload speeds have been much better than my download speed since this began). Download speed has risen from just over 1 to around 3 or 4, which is still awful. I noticed that when I was using azureus, I was choking everyone and they were choking me, although my settings were fine. So, I can carry on being everyone's favourite peer, generous to a fault (except they will all overtake me eventually and I still won't be able to download worth a damn). What can I try next? I'd be really grateful for any help!

Already done that, didn't help. Spoke to my ISP last week and they say they aren't doing anything to my speeds. However, I've just spoken to my son, who has a different ISP, and he has the same problem. It's looking more and more like the grassy knoll, seems a lot of people in UK have experienced this sudden unexplained decrease in speed.

@Snakey: This might be an explanation. I'm UK based too. Luckily I'm in a cable area.

I have noticed Tiscali, BT etc. say unlimited in their TV adverts. What they fail to explain and make clear is their "Fair usage policy". http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/fair-usage-policy.html?code=ZZ-NL-12LW

Most if not all ISP's supplying ADSL, buy it wholesale from BT, who employs this policy, I assume they pass on BT's T&C's. They say they give you 3 emailed warnings before they restrict your bandwidth and it only applies between 6-11pm but they would say that. Look in some of the forums. Customers complaining and ISP's in denial.

Moody, thanks, it's nice to know I'm not paranoid (just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't plotting against me...) I think I need to have another word with my ISP and get them to be honest. Otherwise, I (and every other UK broadband customer) will spend days researching, tweaking, fiddling and worrying about things that we are not responsible for. Plus, think of all those forums where you try and explain things, and get a heap of abuse for your trouble! Not here, clearly, but most forums seem to have people who are all to quick to abuse and insult others. So in a way it's almost a relief to be able to say, look, it's actually not my stupidity that is the problem, it's the big corporation/government/etc that's doing this. Oh dear, the grassy knoll is ever closer, and I'm sure I saw Elvis in the local All Days yesterday......

I dont think it has anything to do with the UK. I am the one who started this post and I´m from Portugal. The internet speeds here suck! I dont know why but, this weekend, after installing the BETA release I suddenly found myself downloading at 50Kbps! For me, it was freaking great since I could´t get more than 10kbps. But, and there is always a but, my phone rang, my wife picked it up and cutted the connection momentarilly during the call. When she hanged up, the connection restarted and it only downloads at 3 - 10kbps again! Damn IT!

My conclusion is this:

When the connection starts Utorrent always connects to the peer with less precentage of completion (dont no why but it always happens to me), that peer (peer A )was connected with someone with good upload (peer B) and I were connected to him (peer A)! Since his downloads are good, and I was fortunate to be connected to him, I was able to download a lot.

When the connection was cut, I never found that peer again and the downloads went back to the 3/10kbps.

I think the problems is the peers or the seeds. Strangely, I never connect to the seed, always the peers and they are also downloading. Even thow the less percentage peers are the most probably to stay connected, I would like to connect directly to the seeds. Only when the seeds are gone, the peer connection should start.

Still, slow downloads. What should I do more...

I'm in the uk and did'nt notice any real change in speed. When I first started utorrent I had bad d/l speeds but this was partly due to me u/l at 80%, I've found it needs to have about 70% u/l speeds to max out.

The best thing you can do is try a couple of clients to see if its utorrent, or some other problem causing the slow speeds. :D

Archived