log peer blocking torrent info

acd

A very simple (?) request: right now (v1.4 build 402) the logger tab lists the IPs of peers blocked by the IP Filter simply as

[time] IpFilter blocked peer x.x.x.x

that is, without identifying which torrent's swarm that peer belonged to. So when you have several active torrents at a time there's no way to know which one is attracting blocked IPs. I would like the log to identify the torrent, something like

[time] IpFilter blocked peer x.x.x.x from torrent [name]

A very minor point, but since it looks trivial to implement I thought I would mention it.

Cheers.

If you have DHT and peer exchange on, it may not be possible to determine which torrent an ip belongs to without making a connection with that ip and exchanging some information.

...which kinda defeats the purpose of blocking it in the first place if it's truely hostile!

Any ip that is in a torrent's ip list (stored by µTorrent) could possibly be blocked as requested though. I'm all for that.

If you have DHT and peer exchange on, it may not be possible to determine which torrent an ip belongs to without making a connection with that ip and exchanging some information.

You make an interesting point.

I don't know the details of the peer-to-peer initial handshake, but if it contains the torrent hash then it does identify the torrent. And a reply to the blocked peer of "sorry mate, don't have that torrent" shouldn't be a security issue. (I have no idea of how the IP Filter works. Does the other client get a "port unreachable" error, no reply at all, a "don't have that torrent", ...?)

But as I said, this was a very minor request. If it takes more coding than I assumed, or is simply not practical, please just ignore it. (The developers could better use the time improving the cache. :P)

+1

This would be very useful, even without DHT support. When you dl many torrents at the same time, and some of them with small amount of seeds are blocked by ipfilter you cant dl it and you dont know why :/ I have now such a situation, torrent with one seed being blocked, but the torrent is legal so no need for it.

Update:

It looks like ipfilter doesnt block DHT peers.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=42667#p42667

• 8 months later...

+1

also would be nice if "x.x.x.x" was actually peers IP, and not the first line from the ipfilter.dat file

[17:11:28] IpFilter blocked peer 0.0.0.0

[17:12:15] IpFilter blocked peer 104.1.0.0

[17:12:22] IpFilter blocked peer 104.1.0.0

[17:13:24] IpFilter blocked peer 0.0.0.0

[17:15:52] IpFilter blocked peer 0.0.0.0

[17:16:56] IpFilter blocked peer 0.0.0.0

[17:16:59] IpFilter blocked peer 104.1.0.0

[17:17:01] IpFilter blocked peer 0.0.0.0

[17:17:25] IpFilter blocked peer 0.0.0.0

[17:17:32] IpFilter blocked peer 0.0.0.0

[17:18:00] IpFilter blocked peer 104.1.0.0

[17:19:19] IpFilter blocked peer 0.0.0.0