uTorrent Crashes and Takes Snow Leopard with it.

willdenow

I have a very strange problem that happens repeatedly, sometimes several times a day. Basically, if I try to download more than five or six torrents at a time, uTorrent crashes and ultimately creates a crash "cascade" causing every other process running under Snow Leopard to becomes unresponsive and ultimately crash. Generally uTorrent freezes (spinning beach ball), which I can't often can't even force quit. Shortly thereafter, Finder freezes, followed thereafter by each and every other program I am running, although movies or music continue to play even after the program playing them becomes unresponsive. If I am successful in force quitting finder, it stays that way and will not recover. Further, it is impossible to launch new programs or even log off or shut down gracefully. Basically, the system goes into spinning beach ball mode and stays there. I waited recently to see how long this would continue overnight and when I got up the next morning, the system was still hung and unresponsive. The only thing I can do in such situations is a hard reboot. As you can imagine, performing hard reboots six eight or ten times a day begins to take a toll on the drive directory and preferences, forcing me to boot up from a dvd to perform repairs.

Because the neither the program or os ever actually fully crash, I can't find anything in the logs that seem to point to a specific thread that is the culprit. What I have observed is that this occurs only when there are several torrents all of which have large numbers of connections that are downloading at a high rate, e.g., a combined download speed greater than 2 MB per second (I have a 30 mB down, 5 mB up cable modem connection). I have very few other apps running, in general only Safari and either iTunes or QuickTime.

This appears to be hardware independent as the same type of crash occurs on each of my three macs (MacMini 2009, 2.5 GHZ Core2Duo with 4 GB RAM; 27 inch 2.8 GHZ Corei7, 16 GB RAM; 13 inch MacBook Pro 2.4 GHZ Core2Duo, 8 GB RAM). Each of these machines is running OS X 10.6.2 with all further patches applied. I have MacAfee Antivirus installed, but I do all scans manually. The machines are attached to a Dlink router, but the machine running uTorrent sits outside the hardware firewall.

I really like uTorrent because it is so damn fast, but these crashes are getting me down. The only way I have found to avoid the problem is to severely cut back on the number of torrents and the number of both global (1000) and individual torrent (500) , but this of course severely constrains the speed. Any ideas?

UPDATE (12jan2010) Well, I'm disappointed to say the least that no one from the dev staff has commented. This is a SERIOUS problem. It seems to be directly associated with the total number of connections involved for the group of torrents as a whole. I thought it might be a problem in Snow leopard, so I loaded the same torrents in both Transmission and Vuze using the same settings for global max and individual max connections, along with the same bandwidth and connection parameters. Neither caused a crash after several hours of use. It's really too bad because uTorrent has the smallest footprint, but it's of little use to me if I can't "set it and forget it." It's a royal; PAIN to have to add the torrents one by one and then monitor their progress to make sure everything goes O.Lk. And if I limit the connections severely enough to stop the problem (500/100), then the download speeds are piss poor. I hope someone can figure it out, but until then it's back to Vuze. uTorrent, I hardly knew ye,

• 1 year later...

I've got the same issue, was looking everywhere online for solutions. Nothing found yet. Seems to be mainly when I have fast downloads (about 1.7 mb/s or higher) in combination of me selecting more than10 or so torrents started and downloading at the same time. If I limit it to download 5 or 6, it seems to work, but then again, if there's a large number of connections established per torrent, the fact that I have 5 or6 downloading at a time wont' help either. So I constantly have to limit how many downloads I enable or how many connections per download. I

It seems to be an issue with how many global connections the utorrent can handle at one single time.

Any help from utorrent dev team would be appreciated. I absolutely prefer this app to any others I've used to this point.

It's a problem with OSX. With the default system settings, you can't use a lot of connections, else the OS will slowly die this way. see the transmission forum for more details: https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?p=51934#p51934

The quickest tweak is to lower the max connection count, but you can try searching their forums for some sysctl tweaks that can mitigate the issue.

Archived