Azureus works fine/utorrent wont connect to all peers

deafcon

I'm an azureus user that's interested in utorrent because of system resource issues. I have azureus working 100% flawlessly, no NAT error, ports are forwarded correctly. I downloaded utorrent today and I find the program to be excellent, with only one problem. I configured utorrent to work with the same port as I use for azureus. I was downloading a file with 1 seeder and 19 leechers. I was only connected to 5 of the leechers though. My upload is capped at 80kB/sec which I've found to be optimum, but utorrent wasn't even uploading at 20kB/sec. Download was poor as well. I stopped the torrent in utorrent and restarted it with azureus and suddenly was connected to all 20 peers and uploading at the full 80kB/sec with good download speed as well. Does anyone have suggestions?

You weren't running both at the same time right? And um... have you tried turning on protocol encryption? Also, was the tracker up? Have you patched tcpip.sys?

No both were not running at the same time. I have not tried protocol encryption. The tracker was up. I just patched the tcpip.sys and set the max.halfopen to a much higher value. My connection is 1mb/sec up so I used 1000 for my value in the patcher and 500 for the value in utorrent per the speed guide, is that correct? I'll report results of the patcher shortly.

Way too high. 100 is enough in the patcher, with 75-80 in µTorrent. Keep in mind that too many simulatneously open half-open connections also creates large overhead.

That's a bit confusing, seeing as the speed guide recommended 128 and 64 for a 128kbps connection. I'll go back and correct it though.

No, I'm talking about half-open connections. The speed guide sets up the maximum number of fully-established (as opposed to half-open) connections, and its settings are fine. What needs to be changed is the net.max_halfopen in the Advanced section of the Preferences.

No, I'm talking about half-open connections. The speed guide sets up the maximum number of fully-established (as opposed to half-open) connections, and its settings are fine. What needs to be changed is the net.max_halfopen in the Advanced section of the Preferences.

Another very important thing you need to do is to patch your TCPIP.sys file. If you don't know what this, don't worry. Just surf over to our German friend LvlLord and download the appropiate patch for your OS. When the download has finished, double-click the program and press C on your keyboard. Then, type in the number of your upload speed in kb/s (notice the small "b", thus kilobits), in our situation it was 128 kb/s, so we'll type in 128. Press Enter. Press Y. Now the program will check to make sure that the patch was applied properly. If you get any annoying Windows messages telling you that critical system files have been modified and need to be replaced with the original versions, just click on Cancel to prevent Windows from undoing what we just did. Reboot your system when the patching is complete.

OK, now it's time for us dive into µTorrent's Advanced Options. I'm going to address only those settings which I believe are going to give you a boost...the rest are better left alone unless you know what you're doing. Remember how I told you to patch your TCPIP.sys file a while ago exactly as your upload speed (in kb/s)? In my case it's 128 kb/s and I'll divide it in 2. So:

128 / 2 = 64

You can use the number you've calculated above on the setting below and still have enough connections left for other applications to utilize. Aggressive surfing won't be affected this way. :)

Archived