Speed is normally ~165 kB/s, but sometimes jumps up to ~500 kB/s

tkmops

My uTorrent seems to be working fine, except that every so often, my speed jumps from about 165 to 500 kB/s. I've already read the 'speed' and Linksys sticky's, and done all the settings experiments...nothing seems to explain why my speed jumps way up for a few mins, then drops back down for most of the time. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Are there some setting

'tweaks' that I can do to get the higher speed all the time? Thx....

Thanks for all the links....I was already aware of all of the 'suggestions/experiments' one can do, but tried them all again....still stuck at about 165 kB/s. Did the Glasnost speed test...it seems my ISP

is not throttled...getting up to 371 Kbps downloads. I have noticed in the past, that when one of my torrents is done, and gets moved to a different location, I see a 'disk overloaded' msg down in the task bar area, and speed drops to zero, and when it's done moving the file, my speed jumps up to ~500 kB/s for a short time, then back to the norm. This process I'm aware of, what I'm asking about now, is that this(speed jump) is happening when all torrents are still in progress. I'm happy that I'm getting good speeds for a short time, it seems that my PC and ISP support those speeds, I'm just interested in seeing if I can get those speeds all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for taking so long to get back...had some issues with my PC. My ISP is CommSpeed, in Arizona. I'm paying for the fastest speed they offer...1024 kB/s(I live in the country...so this is fast for us...in Phoenix high speed is at least 10MB/s). I use speedtest.net to test my speeds...did 5 tests...they range from D/L .64MB/s--1.40MB/s, Up .24MB/s--.26MB/s, and ping .97--1.44

Ah, yes, Duh! The ads that I've seen say 'MB', not 'Mb'...I should have caught that. OK, so now my speeds range from range from D/L .64Mb/s--1.40Mb/s, Up .24Mb/s--.26Mb/s. But, now we're back to why my speed jumps from ~165 kB/s up to ~500 kB/s. Is there a way to change how uTorrent

displays the speed(on the bottom 'task bar' next to the 'Network OK' green circle) from kB/s to Mbps?

ok, in uTorrent, I average ~165 kilobytes/sec, but sometimes it jumps to ~500 kilobytes/sec.

At speedtest.net my D/L speed ranges from .64 Megabits/s to 1.40 Megabits/s(which is, if I calculated correctly...80 kilobytes/s-175 kilobytes). And I have the fastest speed my ISP offers..1024 kilobits/s. I guess what I'm asking is if my highest speed is supposed to be 1024 kilobits(128 kilobytes), then why does my speed sometimes jump more than 3 times that to about 500 kilobytes? Maybe they just don't monitor customers usage all the time?

Archived