Front page on Digg

gregschoen

i dugg it on digg. noticed the same comments. also noticed comments that it would be a good usb thumb drive app as well. very positive comments. i'm impressed.

You guys have almost 1k Diggs on Digg.com!

Most people are going "Hey, I ran the EXE and it doesn't install, what am I doing wrong?" LOL! :)

most installers would bloat the file size considerably.

I thought about this myself as well, back when I was working on NVRefreshTool, I looked at and tested various installers. And for the most part they all had artificial size bloats.

Quite literally, utorrent is 82KB in size. A typical 'installer' for the program (Nullsoft, etc.) would jack this up probably a few hundred KB for no real reason.

The thing, at best, that perhaps Vurlix and them could do w/o comprising file size and wasting time on an installer, is to have some sort of setting that on the first run on the system, it runs you through the software's configuration wizard.

However, if µTorrent finds a file named "settings.dat" in its own folder (the same one where the utorrent executable is located), it will use this folder to store settings. This can be very useful for using µTorrent from USB pen drives, floppies or other such removable storage devices.

Archived