How much do I need to seed to avoid being a leecher?

Vezdehod

Hey everyone,

I've been downloading for ~2 years, but I have just this quick question...

At what sharing ratio do you become a 'peer', instead of being a 'leecher'? I usually seed to a ratio of 5, I know that's like 5 time more than most people, but is there any specific ratio you have to reach to not be a leecher?

Thanks,

Vezdehod

Firstly, let me clear some things up for you. The terms Peer and Leecher have varying meanings, depending on the context, although they are essentially the same.

As far as uTorrent is concerned, a Peer is someone who is downloading a torrent, and has not completed it. You become a leecher if finish downloading the torrent and don't seed to at least 1:1

In the context of many private trackers, a leecher is anyone who hasn't seeded back as much as they've downloaded; whether they've finished downloading the torrent or not.

But to avoid the "leecher" you essentially have to upload as much as you download (keep a ratio above 1:1). Because you seed to 5:1, you've got nothing to worry about.

You're no leecher...

You're giving back far more than you're taking.

But if you want to maximize that help to others, check your average upload speed per upload slots.

It's best to be at least 3 KB/sec but probably less than 20 KB/sec per upload slot. (Giving more would likely mean uploading to individual peers faster than they could return the favor to others.)

tyler6788,

1st and 2nd links in my signature.

(But please don't go sniping other people's message threads.)

Archived