utorrent works on LINUX!

kraiser

i can confirm uTorrent working on 0.9.12, ... I have tried with Cedega 5.1 with no success, i also tried with crossover office professional 5.0.1, ...

Just wanted to make sure I got your point correctly, you're saying this right?

Works: WINE 0.9.12

Does not work: Cedega 5.1, Crossover Office Pro 5.0.1

I have my screen update time set to 2000ms too, just because the screen flicker drives me nuts. I just don't have the time to try to see if that is a wine problem or a uTorrent problem. I won't care once the webui is ready, hopefuly I won't even have to have any UI on my screen at all.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to make sure I got your point correctly, you're saying this right?

Works: WINE 0.9.12

Does not work: Cedega 5.1, Crossover Office Pro 5.0.1

yes that is exactly what i mean, wine 0.9.12 works fine for me. There are things which still dont work like, enable PEP will not allow any downloads or uploads, but communication with tracker still stays fine. DHT works fine.

CEDEGA 5.1: Application wont start, crashes straight way.

Crossover Office Pro 5.0.1: Application starts, all GUI is fine, Torrents added, hash checks done fine, No network, No communication at all. I tried to bind it to specific IP as well but still no resuts. Mirc32 works fine in Crossover Office Pro 5.0.1

Flickering... hm, ludde did improve the flickering issue in the betas. Have you tried it?

I am using the most recent beta which is published on the website.

Flickering... hm, ludde did improve the flickering issue in the betas. Have you tried it?

He says he improved the flickering on the general tab. That was less of an issue for me, but even at 500ms now I see no noticable flickering on the general tab.

My annoying flickering issue is with the SysListView32 controls. I haven't had time to construct a test app to localize the problem to WINE or uTorrent though. I mean, obiously it is wine, but there might be an easier workaround inserted into uTorrent if it turns out to be a fundamental problem with WINE's GDI implementation.

And do you have GLX/Composite/Damage enabled?

I do have GLX enabled (direct rendering available), but not Composite, and I'm not even sure what the Damage extension is. It doesn't have anything to do with the speed of my X server because it flickers even on a GeForce 6800GT with an Athlon X2 4200+.

Win32. tongue If there's flickering on Wine, it's probably Wine's fault.

Take your "works under win32" comments to the win32 thread! :-P Of course it has something to do with WINE, there isn't even a complete syslistview32 implementation in wine at all (for starters they don't support extended list view styles at all). What I was hoping was that I could find a reason it flickers under wine, come up with a workaround, and see if it works just as well for win32.

Of course, if it turns out to be the GDI implementation in wine, we're all boned.

There isn't a way I could get an non-packed version of utorrent is there? When I was tracking down the problem with the networking it was a real pain in the ass to attach the debugger after the process unpacked, as well as preventing me from using IDA.

Eh, I just thought that since I had already shown that I can fix a problem and proficiency in the debugger, someone would want to throw me a bone and save me some time. I know it can be unpacked, I thought my time would be better spent fixing WINE to make utorrent work better.

Hm, I'm curious... how much resources do µTorrent+WINE use, and how does it compare to Azureus+Java?

Anecdotally, µTorrent and wineserver collectively occupy 13.6 MiB of real allocated stack (very little of this is wineserver). Sun's JRE running Azureus creates a 54.9 MiB stack.

As far as CPU cycles go, usage should be very comprable to that on Win32 since, again, Wine is an API implementation (this ignores, of course, situations where a bug causes an infinite loop and places where Wine's implementation of a function is much less efficient than Win32's).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived