How was it possible for this torrent to fill up with no seeds?

Technarch

I joined a small 150 meg torrent right when it was first offered and I saw that it had no seeds so I thought to myself, this is going to be a while.

But it really wasn't.. it was acting as if there was a seed even though I was only connected to 10 of supposedly 15 peers, and 0 of (0) seeds in swarm according to µTorrent.

Now this isn't exactly the 'stupid noob' question you are thinking.. The availability was at probably 5% or less when I joined it. But as time went by the availability kept climbing, without a seed till it reached 100% and I just now finished it along with a bunch of people and now there are (7) seeds in the swarm with availability reported as 1.999

So how was this magical 'invisible seed' technique done? Doesn't super-seeding still get reported as a visible seed?

Ahh clever.. so the seed was there all along.. I have used super-seed before to reseed torrents but didn't realize that I'm not displayed as a 'seed' while this is occuring.

I liked Azureus's function where super-seed could be left on all the time, and if you joined a torrent that had seeds or became seeded, it would automatically shut itself off.

Archived