Comments about 17780's UI

mavere

vgrli1.png

1.) The torrents count in the left side column doesn't fit within the grey ovals. Come to think of it, this is also a problem in 0.9.2.

2.) When in a finder window with the left column open and you resize it, the icons on top move with the resize. I think it'd add a lot to the mac "feel" of the application if uTorrent does the same.

3.) There's something... off about the tabs; I think it has to do with the curves and the shade of the gray. I realize that's not too helpful a criticism, but they remind me of Chrome's tabs in that they look ok, but feel out of place.

4.) There's a lot of whiteness in pretty much every single section (the tabs). One of the thing I realized I missed about 0.9.2 was how the blue'ish grey of the bottom section contrasts and complements everything else.

5.) The icons in 0.9.2 look a lot more professional than 0.9.3. To be honest, unless there were copyright issues, I don't see the need to change the icons.

This was all that I wanted to add or reiterate. I looked through the other posts about 0.9.3's UI, and I pretty much agreed with all points brought up previously.

I hope people who're working on the UI read these posts. I realize it's a lot of bitching and hair splitting, but it's just because we all want uTorrent to be the best Mac torrent program out there.

1. Its a standard OS X element, part of NSCell. Changing it would make it less mac-like. See Mail.app, for example.

2. Point and agreed. Start/Stop/Remove should be moving.

3. There is absolutely no common tab UI element in OS X whatsoever; Safari and Terminal have their own tabs implementation (and they're the only two apps on OS X built-in that have tabs afaik). The tabs are fine.

4. Theres nothing wrong with whitespace. It makes things cleaner.

5. Agreed. The icons are getting progressively better, but, they're still hideous.

1. Its a standard OS X element, part of NSCell. Changing it would make it less mac-like. See Mail.app, for example.

Are you sure? It seems to me like they resize properly in Mail. In any case, how they work in µTorrent is clearly broken and should be fixed, whether it's Cocoa's fault or custom code. If standard UI elements doesn't work, it's not a sin to use custom elements. I liked the colour better in the last 0.9.3 build, though that's not very important.

3. There is absolutely no common tab UI element in OS X whatsoever; Safari and Terminal have their own tabs implementation (and they're the only two apps on OS X built-in that have tabs afaik). The tabs are fine.

I still think they look very much OS 9-like. Safari's and the Terminal's tabs are nothing like these, considering those are arbitrary in number and size (within constraints). µTorrent's tabs are much more like the tabbed interface used in System Preferences, and those tabs are as far as I know, a standard UI element. They might work poorly with scrollbars though.

5.) The icons in 0.9.2 look a lot more professional than 0.9.3. To be honest, unless there were copyright issues, I don't see the need to change the icons.

Agreed. I have no idea why someone would change the iconset even if the current ones are placeholders.

The whiteness is fine. Using a gradient as background for text isn't very nice.

Additional complaints:

1) Why can I resize the Speed tab past the "Reset" button without triggering a scrollbar?

2) Please respect my UI theme (even if other applications doesn't). If I'm running graphite, I want grey as a selection colour.

Many of NoOneButMe's and my previous points are still valid as well.

MORE COMMENTS SOON

Archived