n00b ? about "TCP/IP Optimizer"

Youkai

Just a quick question regarding the use of "TCP/IP Optimizer" in Icedog's awesome Mini-Guide for speed problems...

(forgive me for my n00b-ness :) )

In regards to the following lines from the guide:

"Just slide the bar to your maximum download speed (in kb/s)"

"So you need to slide the bar at the exact download speed your ISP has given you"

I'm wondering if I should use the download speed my ISP tells me I have, or the actual speed I get from various speed tests??

ISP tells me: 1500kbit/s DOWN and 128kbit/s UP

Speed test results show: 781kbit/s DOWN and 131kbit/s UP

(Earthlink ADSL over a Verizon line, Worcester MA)

TIA for the help, let me know if additional info needed..

Hmm...you present an intriguing question. :o Are you sure you weren't downloading anything else when you were doing the speed test? If you weren't, your ISP is robbing you of 700+ kb/s of your download speed...and you should have a talk with them first to see what's up with that. :/

Are you sure you weren't downloading anything else when you were doing the speed test?

Unfortunately no, I had nothing going except the speed test. Infact, I ran about 35 tests over a 2-3 day period and averaged the results. Always between 700-780 down and 120-130 up.

If you weren't, your ISP is robbing you of 700+ kb/s of your download speed...and you should have a talk with them first to see what's up with that.

See, I thought the same thing, but after a lot of research it appears that my speeds are quite normal for my conditions.. :(

- I'm just barely under the distance limit from my Telco's CO...

- The package from my ISP says speeds up to 1.5Mbit, not 1.5Mbit guaranteed....

- Numerous reports from people in my area with same ISP reporting same speeds..

Since all Broadband options in my area would produce the same results given my distance from the CO, I suppose I can settle for the speeds I'm getting (some people are not as fortunate, after all).

I'm just trying to tweak things out the best I can and I was curious what speed I should use in the "Optimizer"

Thanks again!

the options in the Speed Guide are for upload speed only, not download

Not trying to be a jerk, but the specific section of the guide I was referring to deals with download speeds....:)

"Once you've followed the steps outlined above, I'm going to address your network connection itself. A very handy tool for getting the most out of your connection is TCP/IP Optimizer. It's easy to use and it has worked very well for me personally. Once downloaded, all you need to do is double-click the program and a screen will be presented to you. Just slide the bar to your maximum download speed (in kb/s), click on the little round box next to Optimal settings on the bottom of the program and then click on Apply changes. It'll ask for allowing a back up etc. (you can say yes just in case something goes wrong) and then reboot your PC once the changes have been made.

Note: it's very important to set the slider bar at your connection's exact download speed, otherwise you'll have even more problems. I repeat, do not set it to something higher than your connection can handle!...."

Also, I hate the "kb" and such abbreviations because they're REALLY AMBIGUOUS!

If referring to kilobits, use kbit, and if referring to kiloBYTES, use KiB

Gotcha, edited my post to correct this.

Archived