Torrent not downloading like it should

SHr1KeS

I've never had a real big problem with torrents in terms of Download Speed and Upload Speed. Until recently. My last 2 torrents (each within a few days) my download speed is almost dead. Even though I'm getting enough Seeders to support well over 50kbs.

My average on my last download was 52.8kbs with about 10 seeders, the one before that, was about 20kbs and about 12 seeders.

also occasionally my trackers seemed to go offline even though they seemed to be ok.

I had no problem with this before. Recently I did reformat my computer, but I did some torrenting after that and had no problems. So I decided to investigate.

First thing I thought was that it my be my firewall, checked it and made sure utorrent was an exception, and it was, just to make sure I disabled it for a few hours and made no difference.

Then I thought of port forwarding, I used the guide for my router.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DIR-615/Utorrent.htm

However look at the last instruction, it says "We will list a series of lines here that will show you exactly how to forward the ports you need to forward. Utorrent requires you to forward the ports you entered above. Go ahead and enter the settings shown above into the Port Forwarding Rules menu. "

It had no list or series of lines, just "Name1"

What do I put in it?

Anyway last thing I checked was my ISP. Now my ISP is not the most consistent company in the world (mainly because I have no choice what I get and I live in the country) and the average download connection is about 1.6 - 2MBs (even though it should be at around 3) So I don't think my ISP is causing a major role in the problem.

Something just doesn't add up. Anyone have any ideas?

Also: Just wondering. Does having more trackers make downloads faster or slower?

-Many thanks!

EDIT: I recently got a error on one of my trackers

"no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" its also not a private tracker.

Is this a port forwarding problem? Sounds like it.

Also: Just wondering. Does having more trackers make downloads faster or slower?

Slower because you're wasting bandwidth announcing to the extra trackers.

"no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" its also not a private tracker.

Is this a port forwarding problem? Sounds like it.

No, not a port forwarding problem. It's a "tracker isn't running" problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I just want to know how many trackers should I have. Say I have a torrent and there are loads of leachers and only a few seeders, (like the ratio is more then 1 - 100) would getting more trackers still use bandwidth?

and one more thing, I hear alot of mix reactions to DHT and Peer Exchange, some say it just takes up bandwidth and others say its useful, should I leave it on or turn it off?

I just want to know how many trackers should I have. Say I have a torrent and there are loads of leachers and only a few seeders, (like the ratio is more then 1 - 100) would getting more trackers still use bandwidth?

Not only would it still use bandwidth, it would NOT get you more peers.

and one more thing, I hear alot of mix reactions to DHT and Peer Exchange, some say it just takes up bandwidth and others say its useful, should I leave it on or turn it off?

If all of your torrents are always private flagged, you turn them off, otherwise you turn them on. The bandwidth use for these in proportion to their usefulness makes them worth it.

Peer Exchange is automatically disabled by private torrents, so no need to disable it.

DHT on the other hand runs even if ALL your torrents are private torrents, so must be disabled separately if you don't need it.

Both DHT and Peer Exchange are very useful for finding additional peers/seeds...IF THEY EXIST.

Lots of the peer/seed numbers reported on torrents are for now-dead, crashed, never existed peers/seeds. Some peers/seeds may have multiple ips (either from changing their IPv4 ip every time they crash/reboot or from having both a IPv4 ip and Teredo/IPv6 ip), so add multiple times to the peer/seed number totals.

A buggy BT client or tracker could easily report multiple incorrect peer/seed ips to make matters worse...

Archived