Upload speed WAY over cap..

an303042

Hello Everyone!

I've been using uTorrent for a few years now, and mostly I'm very happy with it...

Something strange has started to happen since i upgraded to 1.8.5 (i had to upgrade to solve the HTTPS rss issue). my upload speeds are going crazy - no matter what cap i set for the upload speed, it climbs up uncontrollably and chokes my connection. my total actual upload speed is WAY below whats written, but something there is wasting...

any help would be very appreciated!!

Thanks in advance..

utorrentk.jpg

RSS feeds - only have two at the moment - not sure how to tell if they are "out of control" - refresh interval is set at 15..

in the screenshot i have 20 torrents seeding, 0 downloading.

Speed guide settings:

U/L limit: 30kB/s

upload slots: 3

connections (per torrent): 80

connections (global): 650

Max active torrents/downloads: 51711

other changes i've made:

net.calc_overhead - *true

net.max)halfopen - *50

thanks for you time..

Ok, new settings:

10 torrents seeding, 0 downloading.

Speed guide settings:

U/L limit: 30kB/s

upload slots: 3

connections (per torrent): 50

connections (global): 180

Max active torrents/downloads: 20

other changes i've made:

net.calc_overhead - *true

net.max)halfopen - *20

I want to be able to have a few torrents seeding (even with low speeds) for different trackers.

unfortunately, the screenshot looks very similar even with these settings:

49979022.jpg

I'd expect the RSS feeds to only be active for a few seconds every 15 minutes, a broken RSS feed might be downloading for minutes or hours straight!

As others have forcefully pointed out, your settings are a bit...much.

With a low upload speed max, you need to reduce per torrent and global max connections to make the most of it. Maybe as low as 50-100 global connections and 10-40 connections per torrent.

net.max_halfopen set to 50 means uTorrent is attempting to make LOTS of outgoing connection attempts at once. This burns upload. If uTorrent is unfirewalled, it is unnecessary overkill...since you can get incoming connections at a much faster rate anyway and not pay big on upload to do so.

Even reducing net.max_halfopen to 20 won't help much...try putting it at 4.

Do you happen to have any Teredo/IPv6 or uTP peer/seed connections present in PEERS window/tab?

@an303042 : this seems like some bug. In V 2.0 there is a GUI modification in the speed graph, showing both your data and overhead. It has some bugs, but it can help to understand better the cause of the issue. You gave to understand that IF there is a bug they will fix it only in 2.0 anyways...

Did I miss the info on your max connection speed ?

no my connection in 10mbit downstream and 0.8mbit up... I'm capping at 30kbs just to leave alot of bandwidth for browsing etc. but lately i just need to shut down utorrent if anyone wants to browse at reasonable speeds. it's really getting out of hand, even with very modest settings.

As mentioned before - i tried the v2.0 beta, which didnt help.

im kinda stuck here..

@Switek: how would i know if i do?

Ok, i went even further down with my settings, and am now seeding two torrents only!

it doesnt help! - speeds get out of hand quickly and with no mercy.

54287666.jpg

@Switeck - i couldnt find any utp peers, but i saw more than a few IPv6 peers. you think those could be a problem?

Edit: Based on other posts here in the forum, i rolled back to 1.7.7 - speed is now controlled.

@DreadWingKnight: "user" is right here, reading the topic. you can talk to me directly. besides, when you have a problem, dont you try different things to see how they work? i dont want to use 1.7.7, but if thats the only way that i can seed AND allow people in my household to have usable browsing bandwidth, then i'll give it a shot till we can figure out whats wrong with 1.8.5. As i'm sure you know, installing different version of utorrent doesnt really take a very long time.

uTorrent v1.7.7 doesn't support Teredo/IPv6.

So if it "works", you may have a severe problem with window's Teredo/IPv6 handling.

...Which is likely still running in the background even with uTorrent v1.7.7!

Please test uTorrent v1.8.5 and/or v2.0rc5 with Teredo/IPv6 disabled in windows.

This tells how to disable and re-enable Teredo and IPv6:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=345648#p345648

...You could even have native IPv6 and Teredo/IPv6, acting as 2 separate interfaces from your "normal" IPv4 web interface!

Archived