Applying ACL to files once moved on complete

Rauchen

Hi all,

Here is the situation: I have an "incomplete" folder where all the downloads begin. Once finished, they are moved to a "complete" that has been shared on the network with full access rights to guest users. I notice that when uTorrent moves the files to the shared folder, the files themselves don't receive the same access rights as the folder.

I have created a small program that does this for me by monitoring new files in the "complete" folder but I would really like to see this done by uTorrent.

Thank you for creating such a useful and powerful application :)

Rauchen

Nod, makes sense since the operation is a "move" (ACLs go with it rather than adopting the ACL of the target.) You might be able to wokaround this (without additional code) by forcing a copy, i.e. place the incomplete and target folders such that they either are or appear to be on distinct partitions. Just a thought...

Hmm that sounds like a good plan but the problem is that if you are going to be copying a very large file (say 4GB) it will take quite a bit of time to do it. Not to mention that you further fragmenting the drive. The last thing I can see that might be an issue is in the case that there isn't enough space to make a full copy of the file.

I know that this requires some changes in the code but I personally would love to see it happen.

Archived