erratic upload speed

streetstopper

hi guys,

i'm new to utorrent and have found it to be a great software for such a small size.

anyways, i am having a problem with my upload speed.

with bittornado, i can cap my upload and download speed to 20kBps and during the whole download, my upload and download speed would actually stick to the cap with variation of +/-3kBps. every few, the upload speed would even be higher than the download speed by 1 or 2kBps. this also means that my share ratio would eventually be more than 1.000 by the time i have finished the download.

on the other hand, with utorrent, with the same caps for upload and download, my download would stick to the cap with just a few variation every now and then. however, my upload speed would be very erratic, changing from 20kBps this few seconds down to 0.5kBps after a few, then go up again. what happens is, by the time the download is finished, my share ratio would always be lower than 1.000.

my temporary solution would be to increase my upload speed so i would reach 1.000 share ratio after starting the download. once i have reached that, i'd cap both the upload and download speed back to 20kBps. but it's a little disappointing that after a few, i'd see my share ratio going down again and by the time the download is finished, i still haven't shared as much as i have downloaded.

any comments on my problem or what i can do?

TIA.

regards!

thanks, ultima, for the quick reply.

did what you have suggested. but take a look at how it goes here:

erratic.jpg

you would see that my upload still dips then goes up, then down again.

what i currently am experimenting on is increasing the number of upload slots. who knows, it might even help. current upload slot is 4. 10 seems to help stabilize the speed.

regards!

untitled18tc.gif

thats how mine looks. it should be a lot more stable.... (red is upload btw.)

it might be that torrent though.

i have 4 upload spots and i have that box checked "if up speed is less that 90% use more upload slots"

one thing to do is just seed for longer at the end of the download.

looking at my download at this point.i would need to seed for days :P

i have "if up speed is less that 90% use more upload slots" checked.

hmmm...well i have quite a few torrents queued up and would like to share as much as i leech. i am just being a good guy here LOL! and contribute to the community. hehehe!

i can't help it but compare the two, bittornado and utorrent.

as mentioned above, my share ratio with bittornado would increase as the download progresses, with the same speed cap for upload and download. but with utorrent, the share ratio goes down.

a few comparison, if i may:

bittornado: i'd be downloading from only about eight to ten sources for approximately my cap.

utorrent: i'd be downloading from so many at about 0.2 to 0.4kBps each.

bittornado: leechers stay a bit longer.

utorrent: leechers dramatically change every now and then.

so is it possible that based on the above, the erratic behavior is caused by overhead?

or is it possible that utorrent uploads to leechers by blocks instead of pieces such that it results in the dramatic change on the number of leechers?

anyways, i think i can live with this little problem. queue-ing with a little seeding after the download is finished is better than having to wait for the download to finish and then manually starting the next torrent on my list.

but then again, if anyone else has any other idea on how to stabilize my upload speed, then it would be much appreciated. that would let me have my pie and eat it at the same time. hehehe.

regards!

Could it be that when you cap your download µTorrent randomly block/throws away incoming packets regardless of value?

ACK replies for your upload might get ignored...thus your upload speeds plummet at odd times?

Stay alive packets from various peers/seeds are ignored...thus peers/seeds drop connection thinking your end is "dead"?

Download speed isn't consistant either due to erratic handling as well?

From what I've seen, these problems are alot worse if you're firewalled.

Even on BitTornado, when I was firewalled I couldn't maintain close to my upload speed setting.

i am not sure how to answer the issues you have raised switeck.

however, i definitely am firewalled. who can afford not to be firewalled these days? hehehe.

anyways, out of curiosity, and for the sake of comparison, i stumbled on abc. interestingly, my upload and download speed seem to be more stable in this one. probably because this is basically based on bittornado. one of the few they improved on abc from bittornado is queuing.

this means, that as my download progresses, my share ratio would increase, thus, by the time the download is finished, my share ratio would have reached more than 100%.

but then again, it's the size of utorrent, and its impact on the cpu that attracts me to this little giant.

thanks, firon!

actually, the first time your answer came, i had to scratch my head and wonder what it may mean because although it would mean stabilizing the upload speed, my target share ratio of at least 1.000 at the end of the download would actually be way out. LOL!

but then, your second one surely made me understand that the overhead is included in the cap.

thus, maybe this could become a feature request, or should i need to post this in the request section: that there be an option if the overhead be included in the computation of the cap or not?

on the other hand, in fairness to utorrent, i also checked out azureus, and the implementation may have been the same for the cap computation. so in the end, i'm back to utorrent. hehehe!

thanks again for being patient with me.

regards!

however, i definitely am firewalled. who can afford not to be firewalled these days? hehehe.

For purposes of who you can connect to and who can connect to you, µTorrent needs to not be firewalled. This means allowing µTorrent outgoing access on ALL ports for both TCP and UDP and allowing 1 incoming port for TCP and UDP. Otherwise, erratic upload speed won't be the only problem you'll experience.

Btw, about 70% of everyone file sharing (using stuff like BitTorrent, Kazaa, Gnutella, E-mule, etc) is firewalled. If you're firewalled yourself, you cannot upload OR download from anyone else firewalled. That means you just threw away the ability to connect to roughly 70% of everyone in a torrent.

ahhh, switeck. that's what you meant.

i am firewalled, and on a local network.

however, utorrent is allowed to connect by using any ports, through either tcp and udp, and yes, i have allowed one incoming port through port forwarding.

on the other hand, as was suggested by firon, i have tried to release the cap for downloads, and as such, my upload speed has stabilized.

and as firon has mentioned as regards how caps are implemented, it's a big possibility that the overhead is included in the cap, such that, it has to compete with all other incoming and outgoing traffic.

on the other hand, as i have also suggested on the feature request section, the possibility of allowing to control if the overhead be included in the cap or not would actually help stabilize download and upload speed.

including the overhead in the caps would mean that the actual traffic of utorrent be limited by the caps.

further, excluding the overhead in the caps (or placing the overhead on top of the cap/actual data of the file being transferred) would also mean that utorrent would be able to communicate with other bittorrent implementations without any limitations, and thus, the erratic speed i have experienced may either be minimized or actually be solved.

Archived