don't download faster than upload?

darkordek

but sometimes, there can be much more seeding capacity,

eg : i set my up speed to 8 kb/s and my dl speed at 8kb/s

what if i can seed at 10 kb/s , i want utorrent to make it automaticly

i mean : i'll set ul limit to 10 kb, but if it seeds at 8 kb it will dl at 8 kb too.. when it is 10kb it will be dl ing at 10 . i hope i can describe what i want :)

sorry for the bad lang.

It doesn't matter, private or public. If there's more upload speed within the swarm than the initial seed can keep up with, people will be uploading faster than they're downloading.

Automatic regulation based on piece availability/distribution is already handled by the protocol. Why make things more complex to satisfy the private tracker community (which really should just make their own client/protocol anyway)

that's right, if u have the same pieces everyone else have, what are u going to upload?

lets say u download at 8kB/s and upload the same, but u are downloading so slow that u have no pieces different than the others already have and then ur upload goes to 0kB/s, should the download go down as well? then when would it end?

if u leech faster u'll be able to seed faster since u get more pieces

-

if u can leech at 10 mb/s from the only seeder (uploader) u could become a seeder in seconds and benefit as much as possible

dAbReAkA, has right. As long as you try to seed as fast as you can, an huge download speed isn't a problem.

If your ratio still lacks <7.5 or something you just stay seeding? So, what's the problem which need to be solved, darkordek?

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, there's a better way to do it, that I was thinking about for a while (I approched the Az guys with the idea, but they seem to have ignored it)

If you do it by piece, then it would look something like this:

1 Request + Download a 'few' peices

2 Upload untill ratio = X

3 Request more peice(s)

4 Goto 2

I'm sure it can't be that hard, then you'd be helping the swarm speed, still downloading and getting more and more of the file(to seed), but maintaining a good ratio.

Ok.. but your not going to use this 'boost swarm speed' mode on a torrent like that are you? And if you did, you wouldn't want to to download more unless you were intrested in the file, then you would tell the application to use the normal download method, and could upload the way you normally would.

That mode you're suggesting would actually slow the swarm down not speed it up. Bittorrent is supposed to work off the "rarest first" idea so that the ramp-up in availibility, and consequently the ramp-up in overall swarm speed, is as fast as possible. Seed one little chunk of a torrent and it'll quickly become not remotely rare and your upload speed will drop drasticly because less and less people want that piece.

Bittorrent is supposed to work off the "rarest first" idea so that the ramp-up in availibility: It still will, download in the exact same manner, but would 'appear' as if the download speed limit was adjusted based on your ratio.

And if partial seeding is so bad for swarms, then why do these private trackers recommend that you download single files from torrents to get ratio boosts?

Would benefit nobody except the people trying to get higher ratios: Any anyone trying to download any of the peices you have...

@Flash13: Spend five or six years writing network code and you can argue with me about it. Until then you can either disagree with me or know what you're talking about, not both.

Because they are laboring under the same mistaken belief that you are. Stupid is contagious.

No, the feature would not benefit people trying to get the pieces you have. At best it would be neutral to them. What would benefit them is you having all of the rare pieces, no matter what pieces happen to be rare at the moment. The more you download, the more useful you become as an uploader. Counterintuitive, maybe, but true.

I think i know what he ment with the request, on some trackers i have download speed about 10-15k/s and upload speed 400k/s, at this rates my 3GB/month limit will be reached without completing the download.

+1 for caping the upload speed to current download speed.

Maybe the exact method needs tweaking, but there must be a way to upload faster than you download without 'slowing the swarm down' Otherwise the heavily leached torrents that DO download slower than you upload to them would have a paradox cycle of self distruction "I can't download faster than I can upload, better stop this torrent before I hurt the swarm too badly"

No-one mentioned anything about how this is different from download a single file/part of a torrent and seeding that yet either.

Archived