uTorrent stops responding after a while

zam0th

AV/F: symantec endpoint protection 11

uTorrent: the latest 2.1 alpha

never had any problems until one of the most recent alpha updates (i thinks that's either the one before the last, or the one before that). now uTorrent stops responding after a while (not sure about the exact conditions, that's not my home computer) and the only way to bring it back is to kill the process and start anew, which as well hangs after a while and so it goes. actually not a big deal, but a bit annoying to have to rdesktop to the PC and restart uTorrent each time it happens.

usual suspect might be the symantec thingy, but it never caused any problems with uTorrent, so i hardly doubt (unless there were certain changes to corresponding parts of the 2.1).

what can i do with that?

PS. will try to downgrade to RC5 and see if the problem persists.

yeah, i guess "alpha" word says everything :). i never realized that there was a stable release candidate as i used to use the "latest" versions, which indeed were quite stable (hugs to the developers).

i guess the best option will be to use RC5 until 2.1 betas appear, as fiddling with AV/F via rdesktop proves to be quite tricky sometimes :).

2.1 is more unstable than normal because we have release asserts enabled, something that intentionally crashes the client when something unexpected happens (instead of just continuing like normal). It gives better feedback that way.

That, and there are massive overhauls of a lot of code, so that always brings problems. But it has improved greatly in the previous months.

Archived