Automatic port-changing when ISP throttles bandwidth

Carbone

Hi,

my ISP (Arcor, Germany) makes me wired because of throttling my bandwidth to 0 when using a port "too much". But its not an official policy, they deny everything about throttling - but when I change the port, the speed is as it should be - for a limited time, of course.

Thats why I am requesting a feature of changing the port when speed is below a certain limit. Because of up-speed is the one you can see it definitely, it should be the trigger.

Greetings

Carbone

Yes, but here in germany you have to have a 12 or 24 months contract, in my case 24 months.

I found some others reporting this, but no one got a solution. It seems to be a method to kick out the "power users".

I see that this seems to be a very exclusive problem at the moment.

But isn't there an external program that can start/stop apps after a given time?

Anyway, finding a program to let me use the port-randomizing would help a lot.

I think you should break the contract based on their improper behaviour towards you. If you want to send files to someone else, then you have the right to do so... or is your ISP being really evil?

To answer your question; there are a few bandwidth managers out there on the web if you think they can help you. There are also bittorrent-clients (Bittornado for example) that use one port per session (download), not sure if that is what you're looking for.

I talked to a German guy in email last week this is what he said to me:

"Well, at least one provider here is said to throttle non-standard ports.

But the biggest - Deutsche Telekom - actually recently was using this

for advertisment, that they do not filter/restrict you."

So since they advertise they want you, why not switch?

Yeah, like others suggested, I'd recommend writing them a letter of complaint and trying to break off the contract for that reason.

In the meantime, do what Firon said and set up Windows' task scheduler to reset µT every half hour or so. Keep in mind that this will slow down your downloads, as peers will have to rediscover you...

Thanks a lot for your comments!

I am using a task-scheduler for restarting utorrent now.

Maybe I could cancel the contract, perhaps they are waiting for that - this ISP is one of the cheapest and they don't like power-users, I guess. But if you are looking for an ISP with an own network to the customer, there are only 3 or 4 providers, all others are resellers. Deutsche Telekom makes me blowing chips when I only here the name...

But indeed, there is a very good, very professional ISP named QSC, at which I was a customer before I changed to Arcor. Sadly, they are a lot more expensive...

At least, every ISP seems to have disadvantages - if there is a way to live with (or knockout) these things I will stay at the cheapest one.

Greetings

Carbone

• 3 years later...
To answer your question; there are a few bandwidth managers out there on the web if you think they can help you. There are also bittorrent-clients (Bittornado for example) that use one port per session (download), not sure if that is what you're looking for.

So, the solution is to not use utorrent? Strange solution...

This is a rather old thread you've dredged up.

The "solution" was proposed by a random poster.

Encryption was not recommended but sometimes helps.

No other troubleshooting was really attempted to rule out that it wasn't OTHER problems causing speed loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if it was old, it was the most appropriate that came up after searching.

I always use encryption.

It is very clear. After a few hours of downloading the port status (bottom-middle in utorrent client) changes from the green to yellow. I then go into settings and change the port and everything is again good for some hours.

Since utorrent obviously is aware that there is a port problem (green changes to yellow) why not make an option so that when that happens it automatically changes to a different port?

I would appreciate an answer that doesn't just say "it has been considered and rejected". Rejected for what reason? It makes no sense. I'm obviously not the only one with this problem and who for whatever reason can't just login remotely and change the port.

Were your ISP is hostile to the point of blocking/throttling unknown encrypted traffic, there's not much you can do besides getting a REAL ISP.

Port changes would have only a very short-lived effect (a couple seconds to a minute) against the throttling method used by major ISPs now.

You need to determine for CERTAIN the problem's not caused by poor networking software or hardware on your end...or jumping ports will just make the torrent swarm work harder to find new peers and seeds ...all for nothing. :(

Thanks for your reply Switeck. Unfortunately in the 3rd world country I live the alternative ISP is even worse.

I've discussed the problem with friends and we are many who see the same pattern. After a while of good downloading, usually within a few hours, the port is blocked by the ISP. Again, we are in a 3rd world country where it is very likely that it is simply a matter of some guy occationally checking a bandwidth monitor and blocking ports. Yes, backwards, but thats our reality.

My point is, regardless of what is the cause of the problem, when the port is blocked nobody can access ANYWAY. Changing ports when a port is blocked solves the problem. So why not make it an option. It can't be that hard to implement...

Archived