Exceptional Betas - How is the program kept so stable?

alangiv

OO is also horribly slow and bloated. It's also incredibly slow at loading ANY document. I mean, they've done benchmarks, and it can take several minutes to load spreadsheets and presentations... :/

.NET does a better job at being cross-platform (when combined with stuff like mono# and so on) without being as slow or resource hogging as Java, but it's still not -THAT- great.

RePO: Keep Preaching It Brother! It's nice to hear from someone who actually programs for a living.

Regarding .Net and it's memory consumption, the framework is built to use the RAM you have free. If you have 512 MB of RAM, and 200 MB is free, it doesn't really matter if a program uses 4 MB or 40 MB. I will agree that it's nice to have custom built libraries with optomizations, however, sometimes it's nicer to borrow the work someone else has already done and get your software completed quicker.

Nothing against the uTorrent dev team (actually I'm very impressed), but would you rather see more features completed quicker with higher resource requirements, or slower development but better resource management?

Well, in µT's case, we get lightning quick development coupled with great resource management. And it's one guy. What's your excuse?

Well said, and everyone can agree that µTorrent updates come out pretty darn fast and obviously the resource management is what it's known for. :D

.NET (the 2.0 version anyway) doesn't have to be slow or bloated. Take a look at Paint.NET 2.6 for an example of a program written in C# that doesn't have slow start up times and does an awesome job. I really think they should have included it in Vista, but they didn't.

There isn't a decent torrent application written in C# 2.0 yet. So we cannot compare resource usage of such an application to µtorrent or Azureus. I think it would probably come in between the two. Nothing's going to beat µtorrent, but I know you could write a very nicely performing C# client that would not be as ugly resource wise as Azureus is.

Well, in µT's case, we get lightning quick development coupled with great resource management. And it's one guy. What's your excuse?

My excuse: If I had someone half as good as you, keeping whiny users away from me so I could just sit at my desk and code I'd be twice as productive. =)

Archived