Wanting to eliminate queued seeds

Pixel Eater

I went with fresh settings for uTorrent 2.0. I have a 20 megabit connection up and down with FiOS and many private trackers to worry about ratio on. Is it possible to keep 2000–3000 torrents available for upload at once? Because tight now I have to "force start" with these settings to get hungry torrents uploading... I am sure only 20–40 would be active at a time. The important thing is availability.

Queueing:

Max up or down: 15 (The problem I assume, but cranking it to 3000 would be a problem too, right?)

Max active down: 15

Bandwidth:

Max up, Max down: 2000

Global max connections: 800

Max number of peers per tor: 125

Number of upload slots per tor: 25

So, how can I ensure maximum connectability here? I would like to see no queued seeds, no grey. Seeding is very important to me.

I have been over the conservative settings chart and it seems like it would result in conservative availability, i.e. spontaneously 25 green and 2975 grey. Like it just wouldn't really do anything but queue them indefinitely. I must be looking at this wrong. I am aiming for extreme settings, unless they are somehow undesirable.

DreadWingKnight, I apologize but I do not really follow on the KaZaA reference (I was a user) or what is meant by "going away faster". I seed permanently and often dwindle down to the only seeder on many torrents. I am not looking to merely make up ratio then bail. All I want is to never waste time being unavailable since it is nothing my computer and connection can't handle. I had to force start an important torrent and in doing so got 600GB up overnight. I shouldn't have to force start.

Please elaborate on the big problem my current numbers make, I'm really interested. I sort of understand how you mean the equation outweighs the global max. What are solid numbers I can use to pull this off?

Right now I am testing:

Global max: 4000

Max peers per tor: 125

Max active tor: 32

The kazaa reference is to do with treating bittorrent like a traditional p2p network (which is most definitely is NOT)

Splitting your bandwidth across 32 active torrents will mean that you could be splitting your total upload over 128 different ways (which makes for horrid seeding and in effect, spending more bandwidth on overhead than on actual transfers).

More is not better.

What numbers should I be shooting for? Is the conservative guide the end of the line? Because I do not see how queued seeds are good to have. Is it unseemly to keep 3000 torrents on offer? The nature of them is usually albums, 2-10 of which will ever be leeched simultaneously. Then I have at times up to 15 major torrents going on.

Please help me optimize this. I am only able to guess and don't really think I've ever reached a balance.

If you're seeding, there's not much gain having max connections per torrent more than slightly higher than upload slots per torrent.

And considering that you probably have "allow additional upload slots" checked, you don't even need upload slots set at 25. Try 10 upload slots per torrent instead.

Queueing:

Max up or down: 20

Max active down: 10

Bandwidth:

Max up, Max down: 2000

Global max connections: 600

Max number of peers per tor: 30

Number of upload slots per tor: 10

That shouldn't happen if you've got uTorrent to not count slow torrents as "active".

Your previous settings were only 15 torrents active at once, I increased that to 20...so I cannot understand why it is "worse" than before.

(You may be right though due to a bug in uTorrent though...)

Can you sort the torrents by active/inactive, hide the filenames, and screenshot that?

Then upload it to: http://www.imageshack.us/

...and post the link to it here.

Error Can't open?

Your whole window doesn't show a single active torrent. :(

Ok, a change then to the settings:

Queueing:

Max up or down: 30

Bandwidth:

Global max connections: 900

...Keep the rest the same.

I expect a slow but steady increase in active torrents over 1-4 hours till essentially all are started but <30 are active. The goal is to both prevent the overload of your fast line and not offer more than you can deliver at once.

Advanced settings should cause uTorrent to pick-and-choose the most needy (fewest/no seeds) torrents as active.

Sorry, I updated the image. Okay, right now about half the torrents have gone to queued, half are seeding. Now I'll try the new number.

Edit: Okay, I have given those settings a while and it's down to about 20% queued seeds. After opening uTorrent, it takes nearly an hour to creep up to that status. Very strange. It is hard to pinpoint good numbers I guess. Definitely willing to try anything at this point.

I really dont see any problems here. Look at the statistics window under Help to see your actual number of connections. Unless this is high, you can seed more torrents. Tracker load is another matter however. Seeding dead torrents puts useless strain on the tracker making your site slower.

My settings:

Max number of active torrents: 1243

Max number of downloads: 2

Peers/torrent: 100

UL slots/torrent: 10

Global connections: 800

Right now i am seeding 284 torrents with 2 connections total and hardly uploading at all, so i could seed a lot more. If i start my both downloads, it goes to 200 or so max. Nowhere near my 800 connection limit. Usually i only download one torrent at a time anyway.

Seeding torrents with loads of seeds is just stupid, putting load on the tracker for nothing. Use common sense.

If you absolutely want to seed all your torrents at a time, just increase the maximum active torrents limit to 2000, and monitor your number of connections in the statistics window sometimes. If you see it going to high tens, like 30 or something, just remove overseeded torrents! You are not helping the peers connected to you there.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have given your settings a try for a while Switeck. They're very interesting! As predicted, it can take uTorrent up to a few hours to stop queuing my seeds, but at that point everything is fairly harmonious. Needless to say, casually exiting or bothering to update is agony now.

At the opposite extreme, among other problems, new torrents require uTorrent to be exited and reopened before they will ever start...

Are we expecting this bug preventing power-trip settings to ever be fixed? It seems like it's here to stay... I feel like if my settings were flawless, I could reopen uTorrent and be on my way. If there's nothing else here to optimize, these are at least the most compelling settings I've had to date.

• 3 weeks later...

When you have such a high number of connections and high number of started torrents, it takes some time to cycle through the torrents and start them all. furthermore, you're eating basically all the half-open connection slots on connections that will be dropped pretty much immediately, so it will take a very long time for your newly added torrents to get their turn in the queue.

What I used to do when I had about a thousand started torrents was set a very high active torrent limit for a short while until enough were started, then set it back to a reasonable value. I also raised bt.connect_speed to 40 and net.max_halfopen to something way higher (system was patched, but now I run Windows 7, which has no limit at all). You don't want more than probably 4 or 5 torrents actually active once things have ramped up, though.

Archived