I WANT to run multiple instances (as different users)

HillJack

Im using version 1.7.2 and im unable to get this multiple instance workaround to work. When i run the target /recover command for the second client i get an error message in the already open Utorrent client saying "Unable to Load "recover": cant find the file. !". Wich is odd. I have copied the dat files etc to the second clients folder.

Anyone have any insight to why this is happening?

I see the problem now, i put a frontslash instead of a backslash :/ Giving it another shot.

edit:

yup worked better! Thanks for the info :) Now however i have a listen port problem. No matter wich port i put on the second client it wont be connectable. It connects to the trackers fine. But theres a ! down at the bottom of Utorrent that says something is blocking the ports, maybe a firewall. Wich i specificaly made clear isnt an issue :P So nothign will seed. Ie no connecting to peers.

Isnt it enough to add the second IP adress to Bind IP and to Outgoign IP? Do i have to change any other setting to true or false?

Oh and one more thing. If i run the connectivity test in utorrent it runs it towards my main IP not the secondary.

You don't actually need to mess with the IP binding and stuff in the Advanced preferences. It's useful only for people whose computers have multiple NICs, and they want to use a specific one for a specific task.

Did you make sure to use a different listening port in the second instance of µTorrent, and forward that port wherever it needs to be forwarded?

The slashes do matter for the options though, which is where the problem actually was (try loading µTorrent with \RECOVER, and you'll find that it'll spit the error Sorasil saw back at you).

It wasn't a case of path forward/back-slash or in/out of quotation because otherwise, µTorrent would not have been able to run in the first place to show that error message :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I tried the steps that Ultima presented and worked for me. I even have it working without the /recover switch. But I achieved this by placing the %appdata%/utorrent under a different profile and then runing the shortcut using that profile's credentials (using run-as). What I like to know is how can I run two or more instances of uTorrent (and different versions as well) under the same profile? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

This is my first post but I have been using uTorrent for a while. Thanks to Ultima for the detailed directions, I have followed them and have two instances of uTorrent running under different users. I also have the different settings and icons setup under the two user account's AppData/uTorrent directories.

I am doing this because I have each instance bound to a different NIC. Each will run fine for a little while and then all the traffic on one of the two instances will stop completely, as if the pause button was pressed, for about 30 secs and then resume. This repeats every few minutes.

I am running the second instances with the /RECOVER parameter. What am I missing? Thanks!!

I've followed the post you linked to. The thing is, with only once instance of uTorrent running, everything works perfect. But when there are two instances running, only one works properly.

I've gone through all the settings. I've had DHT and UPnP disabled. I've decreased the connection load. None of the suggestions have helped.

If I run one instance it works, if I run two, only one instance has internet traffice. Why don't two instances work at the same time?

EDIT: I starting looking around at uTorrent and Windows while using multiple NICs with binding two the different interfaces. I think the problem might be in this realm?

From the manual:

[ul][li]net.bind_ip: If your computer setup requires that you use a specific LAN adapter for incoming connections, you may specify that adapter's IP address here. [/li][li]net.outgoing_ip: If your computer setup requires that you use a specific LAN adapter for outgoing connections, you may specify that adapter's IP address here. Note that Windows will sometimes ignore this setting and use other adapters. There is no known fix for this. [/li][/ul]

May be related, maybe not :( I have no experience with this scenario which is why I treat it like an overloaded connection.

Thx for the paste from the manual. I've looked into those settings and running multiple instances. I easily get two instances of uTorrent running and bind each one to a different NIC, but like it says in the manual, Windows sometimes ignore the setting and uses the other adapter.

Two instances are no good if they both are running on the same NIC. Seems like its a problem with Windows, two NICs and multiple uTorrent instances?

Ultima,

That is a great idea. The article explains a bit about binding orders, which seems kinda complex. But routing on the other hand, I understand that. I had different metrics on the different interfaces and their routes. I didn't think of making them all the same metric .

So I forced the adapters and all their routes to be the same metric, say 20. Same problem...I'm not sure I understand what order to bind the adapters...?

Both connections run fine for about a minute, then one of them will drop all traffic. Same issue as before.

I've ready so many articles and tried so many tweaks everywhere. I'm very curious how to solve this...

joeykrim

• 3 months later...

Greetings, First time poster. I too am running uTorrent 1.7.7 Stable. I am running 3 instances of it using the /recover command. I have changed the port numbers on each instance and enable webgui for each. seems to be working and they are running under 1 windows 2003 server account.we can each download what we want, and also it will CHECK the files that we have if its already been downloaded by another user. My prob is that the tracker isnt getting the stats properly. example: I downloaded one file and seeded it up to 20gb the trackers snatchlist only shows me uploading 600mb. anyone ran into this problem? thanks

• 1 year later...

This did not work for me the logger shows:

[2010-04-29 14:31:45] NOTE: Settings file found in directory of executable; using that.

[2010-04-29 14:31:45] TCP port bind failed 0.0.0.0:19837: (10048) Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

[2010-04-29 14:31:45] UDP port bind failed 0.0.0.0:19837: (10048) Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

[2010-04-29 14:31:45] UDP port bind failed [::]:19837: (10048) Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

[2010-04-29 14:31:45] IPv6 is installed

[2010-04-29 14:31:55] Error opening Windows firewall: 0x80070005 Access is denied.

[2010-04-29 14:35:12] Failed file save: C

Any changes I make in Preferences fail to save as you can see on the last line of the log. All help is appreciated.

I followed the instructions on this site http://filesharefreak.com/2008/08/08/how-to-run-multiple-instances-of-utorrent-v177-v18/ and Unchecked the Utorrent>Preferences>Connection>"Add Windows Firewall Exception" Box. Everything now working.

Archived