Stops connecting to new peers after a period of time

jeerry

Behaviour: uTorrent runs fine for 1-3 days, then stops connecting to new peers. Newly added torrents don't even display the number of seeders and leechers (both at 0), torrents already running run as long as old peers are still connected, but after several hours there is 0 traffic.

Conditions:

uTorrent 1.8.4 build 17414

System: Debian 5.0.3

wine: 1.0.1-174

firewall/port forwarding: none

both uTP and TCP enabled (15)

uTorrent connectable all the time

torrents well seeded with many leechers as well, work at full speed both upload and download untill the problem begins to manifest itself

How to make new torrents start and old torrents get back at the right speed? I used to restart uTorrent, which worked like a charm, but I found out that it was enough to stop all torrents, wait untill there were no connections on my uTorrent listening port (at least none that netstat reported) and then resume all torrents.

I think my issue is in some tricky TCP parameters, but my networking knowledge is not enough to troubleshoot myself.

Feel free to ask whatever you think might be useful, I will do my best to test any idea you have. This behaviour of uTorrent becomes irritating :)

Thanks in advance,

jeerry

Current status: uTorrent runs fine for 1-3 days, then stops connecting to new peers. Newly added torrents don't even display the number of seeders and leechers (both at 0), torrents already running run as long as old peers are still connected, but after several hours there is 0 traffic. All trackers in the state "updating".

Temporary workaround: stopping all torrents and waiting till uTorrent has no active connections before resuming works. So does increasing net.max_halfopen.

Question: What should I do to not to have increase max_halfopen ad infinitum?

Conditions:

uTorrent 1.8.5 build 17414 (not 2.0 due to wine/webui bug - should I update?)

System: Debian 5.0.3

wine: 1.1.38

firewall/port forwarding: none

both uTP and TCP enabled (15)

uTorrent connectable all the time

torrents well seeded with many leechers as well, work at full speed both upload and download untill the problem begins to manifest itself

Screenshots:

2dcick4.gif

1zl3y42.gif

2vio5l0.gif

5d9yea.gif (after increasing max_halfopen to 100 to make uTorrent work again)

Update: after a few hours halfopen are now at 19.

Archived