uTorrent Shuts down my internet connection!

JonDavis0

This problem started happening a few weeks ago. I've had the same router nothing has changed for the past two years. What happens is when I start downloading something whether it be limited to 100kbs or Unlimited within two minutes my internet connection shuts off. I have a wireless connection to the router on my parents computer. When the internet shuts off for me it also shuts off for anyone else connecting to it wirelessly; not the computer connected directly into the router. I have tried following all the help on the utorrent forums; with no avail. I have connected to my friends wireless connection and I did not have this issue so it must be something with uTorrent and my router; some sort of setting I'm assuming?

Details:

Router: WRT54GS

*With firmware v5. (so the FAQ's didn't apply)

Windows Vista

Please help; this has become to much of a headache. Thanks.

I've been having the same problem. It just started today when i upgraded to uTorrent 2.0. My router is a Linksys WRT110.

As a side note, PeerGuardian goes absolutely insane when i start uTorrent now. Normally it catches 4 or 5 IPs every 5 seconds or so depending on how many torrents are going, but now its getting 10 IPs a second nonstop. Then uTorrent and my internet stops but PeerGuardian keeps going. This just started happening to me when i installed 2.0 (nothing else has been changed), so it has to be something with that. Any ideas?

EDIT: I have Windows XP SP3 if that makes a difference.

Your opinions on PeerGuardian are irrelevant, Knight. I was simply pointing to what looked like another symptom of a greater problem. This isn't the only thread reporting serious issues with 2.0. We're simply reporting the same problem and asking for a solution. If you want to make a separate thread on the merits of PeerGuardian go ahead. Otherwise, say something constructive to help solve this problem.

No. I already told you (as have others in other threads), the problem only occurred after I upgraded to 2.0. If there is a conflict between 2.0 and PeerGuardian it should be resolved without an uninstall of a separate program. For all you know the OP and his second do not use PG2 and thus your comments would mean nothing toward solving their problem. Stop focusing on PG2 and help us think of a way to solve the real issue.

Switeck

Re: uTorrent Shuts down my internet connection!

1st and 2nd links in my signature.

As I stated in my post, "I have tried following all the help on the utorrent forums; with no avail.". Tell me what information you need and I will provide it. I have researched on the forums and saw in other topics you Switeck to be famous for posting a message saying blah blah blah check my signature. In this case, at least, your signature does not benefit me; as I have already tried the steps. Guys I need some help here and it looks like a few of us are all having the same issue.

For all you know the OP and his second do not use PG2

Correct, I do not use Peer Gaurdian.

Has anyone with this problem tried a previous version of uTorrent to see if it made it any better? It seems to be my limit before it completely shuts down the internet rests somewhere above 200kbs+ but much below 400kbps. I use to get 1mbps+.

Also I doubt this means anything, but, if I see the speed dropping even if its at 2 kbps and I stop the torrent my internet will continue to work... Don't know why but it seems the internet doesn't shut down until the torrent reaches 0 kbps.

There's a whole section in 1st link in my signature, last post even, that you seem to be completely ignoring.

OS: Windows Vista 32 Bit. (Which means nothing as the problem is also on Windows XP.

net.max_halfopen set to a value of "100"

Security software installed: None

ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used: Brighthouse Networks

Exact router model: WRT54GS v5

Says Port is open; Network properly configured.

Could the bolded above be my issue? I read somewhere that it could be set to as low as 10.

Speed test shows a red X after about 35% through and says "Timed out waiting for message from server" .

EDIT: I changed off of Miami server and onto Atlanta server and got results:

Upload 1.83 Mbit/s (224.0 kB/s) Download 11.82 Mbit/s (1.4MB/s)

and I get the green check mark.

Oh and I believe its the 54.0 Mbs tier.

Had same problem, everything was ok till i updated to 2.0. When i`m running utorrent my internet is shuting down for a moment so i have to reconnect everything and when it speeds up to like 500kb/s i can hardly do anything online, even my IM is disconnecting.

I thought so if it came with 2.0 lets turn off uTP, that was solution but than my speed is shity, around 100-130 with fedora download. I have my connections configured with guide table so there is no overload or sth :/.

BTW i`m connecting via Linksys WRT54GS v.6 if that helps. Dunno why uTP is killing my connection but i`m not happy to loose this damn good download.

had the same problem with utorrent 2.0. It would go to 100kb/s (the max, while upload 10kb/s of 30kb/s max) and after less than a minute internet connection would crash. Then disabled NAT-PMP, seemed to fix the problem at first, but after 4 minutes it would crash again.

Went back to 1.8.5 and all solved.

JonDavis0 said, "Oh and I believe its the 54.0 Mbs tier."

That's probably your wireless-g router's wireless raw bandwidth max, but its sustainable amount may be less than 1/3 as much if you've got a weak signal, very much background radio noise, and using the weakest form of wireless encryption.

To the others, TRY the 1st link in my signature...particularly the slow speed parts.

LaDoncella

had the same problem with utorrent 2.0. It would go to 100kb/s (the max, while upload 10kb/s of 30kb/s max) and after less than a minute internet connection would crash. Then disabled NAT-PMP, seemed to fix the problem at first, but after 4 minutes it would crash again.

Went back to 1.8.5 and all solved.

I to went back to 1.8.5 and now I can download again without the worry of having to reset my router 5 minutes into the download. BUT it does not keep a consistent speed. It goes down to zero than back up every few minutes; but its better than having to unplug my router over and over.

Switeck

JonDavis0 said, "Oh and I believe its the 54.0 Mbs tier."

That's probably your wireless-g router's wireless raw bandwidth max, but its sustainable amount may be less than 1/3 as much if you've got a weak signal, very much background radio noise, and using the weakest form of wireless encryption.

To the others, TRY the 1st link in my signature...particularly the slow speed parts.

Ya I'm not sure what our ISPs speed is; but my wireless security is WEP 128bit

I am not expert but i had the same disconnection problem for broad band.After connecting BB, every minute it was disconnected.The BSNL(Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd) engineer had solved this problem.I have regular ADSL2+router.Previously i was connecting to internet by clicking the icon every time.But the engineer has enabled the PPoE connection in the modem by adding username and password to the modem and now it is being worked very smoothly.Secondly I have got wireless modem also.Even after connecting the modem to wireless Router it works fine. I think why not try?

Archived