Can't do port forwarding - what's next?

debianne3

Hello. I just paid for a file sharing service and attempted to do my first download. What a journey I have been on! LOL!

I have Verizon DSL and use a Westell 6100 router. I have WindowsXP and am current on all the updates. I had installed utorrent as-is without changing any options and am getting a NAT error. When I researched that, I found something about needing to forward a port. So I researched that and found that I need a static ip address first before forwarding the port. But Verizon will not allow static ip addresses unless I have a business account. Which I will not do. I think I have been painted into a corner. Can anyone find a path outta here for me, please?

Can I use another port number? How can I check to see if that port is usable without needing to do this port forwarding stuff?

So far, the hours of research I've spent is far eclipsing any enjoyment I might get from a one hour tv show. Sigh.

Second question: if a file is 3.41GB large and my speed is about 2510kbps, how long should it take to download, if things are working properly?

Thanks in Advance, everyone!

Hope your downloads are smoother than mine! LOL!

Debbie

Also to your question about the duration time with that 3.41GB download on a 2510kbps connection, I got the answer ABOUT 23.742657104913678618857901726417 mins. That's IF you can find the right uploader(s) to get you to that speed, and I pretty guessed on that answer so don't expect it to be right.

If the faq didn't help is your modem by chance also a router? Alot of dsl modems have routers built in, even if they only have one port.. Easy way to know is do you log into your dsl acct through your router (pppoe)? Or is it set up for dhcp? If its dhcp then you will need to find a way to turn off the router feature to eliminate NAT Errors.. In a friends case (SpeedStream 4200), the router in the modem (192.168.2.1) autoconfigures to off if it senses that the router (192.168.1.1) is using pppoe (As long as you fully reset the modem to erase acct info).. Other modems make it difficult to nearly impossible to eliminate their routers since alot of isp's use them to screw clients over..

Archived