uTorrent 2.0 SLOW

elbeasto

uTorrent's default speed settings are *EXTREMELY BAD* for most people.

That's why we ask for settings.

Also, uTP in v2.0 seems a bit "much" for most crap software firewalls and routers...which unfortunately seems to be far more common than not. :(

1st and 2nd links in my signature.

I'm sorry Switeck, I've been searching these forums for hours, changing everything possible, and I've seen you post this as your solution before, but those first two links don't really fix my problem. I'd really like to know if they fixed elbeasto's.

Here we go:

I have set up my connection, even using your conservative settings.

I have a green network status light.

Firewall is fine.

Glasnost says I'm not being throttled.

I've correctly used UPnP and now on Marwell's advice, used manual port forwarding.

Changed net.max_halfopen to 4.

Disabled uTP.

Disabled DHT.

peer.lazy_bitfield is enabled

I'm running a fresh install of Windows 7. I was using utorrent earlier today and getting great download speeds. I just installed a new os on a new rig and now, maybe the 2.0 update has something to do with it, i'm getting an average of 40-50kB/s down. The speed tester puts me at 20Mbits down and 6Mbits up. I've gotten 1MB/s on downloads from websites. I am thoroughly perplexed. I'm not sure you can help, but I needed to rant.

Thanks in advance.

i also have a very similar problem, i have been using utorrent for years, port forwarded, stock standard settings getting downloads at 500+kb/s as soon as i installed 2.0 my speed wont rise above 50kb/s, i have a green light stock settings have worked perfectly for me for the last 2 years, i had to uninstall 2.0 and install 1.8.2. its a pain coz every other time i open it its auto updates to 2.0 s o i have to uninstall everyday, need advice

Because my router can't handle 8 connections at less than a k each? Because my ISP can't handle upping at 5k? Because my hd can't handle reading five kilobits a second? I let my upload rate go and I uploaded near my max of 588kb/s and still downloaded slowly. You may never have claimed to be nice, but why moderate a board if you're just plain going to be grating? Computers don't need to do math with integers. I don't see why just because you have a problem dividing 8 by 5, you think a transistor that does simple calculations in the billions per second should. Have a good weekend, and have your cal hw done by monday.

Perhaps this will help:

Set the bt.transp_disposition value to decimal 10.

Explanation:

µTP (uTP) or micro Transport Protocol is a protocol used by bittorrent client. This protocol aims to reduce latency and maximize bandwidth when the latency is not excessive. While normal bittorrent traffic uses Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) to transfer data, bittorrent client that supports uTP is able to transfer data between clients using User Datagram Protocol (UDP).

uTP is supposed to improve bittorrent traffic (uTP can possibly avoid traffic shaping) and you should see improvements in your bittorrent download/upload speed when most of the peers use uTP. So far uTP is used by uTorrent and official bittorrent client.

The bt.transp_disposition value will let you control how uTorrent uses normal TCP or uTP for data transportation.

The bt.transp_disposition value is interpreted as a bit field and you probably need to learn binary to understand it.

As this post is written, the latest uTorrent 2.0 beta build 16666 accepts these values:

1 – allows uTorrent to attempt outgoing TCP connections

2 – allows uTorrent to attempt outgoing uTP connections

4 – allows uTorrent to accept incoming TCP connections

8 – allows uTorrent to accept incoming uTP connections

16 – tells uTorrent to use the new uTP header. This is an improved communication header, but is not backwards compatible with clients that do not understand it.

Basically, these values can be added together in order to enable the options. Examples of bt.transp_disposition values combinations:

31 (16 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1) = enables all the options above

15 (1 + 2 + 4 + 8) = uTorrent will attempt both TCP and uTP for outgoing connections, and accepts TCP and uTP incoming connections

10 (2 + 8) = uTorrent will only attempt to create uTP outgoing connections and only accepts uTP incoming connection

5 (1 + 4) = uTorrent will only use TCP for outgoing connections and when accepting incoming conncetions

The default bt.transp_disposition value for uTorrent 2.0 beta is 15. Setting bt.transp_disposition value to 255 will guarantee to enable all options including future options. bt.transp_disposition can be accessed by navigating to uTorrent's 'Options' menu > 'Preferences' > 'Advanced'.

Thank you Marwell. Awesome post.

Dreadwing, I apologize for being juvenile. I am not the type of person that needs to have things explained in a harsh manner. What you said in your second post makes sense, but it would also have made sense to include that in your first post. I will take that into consideration, and I would like to add that I let all my torrents seed until the ratio is 1.5. I just download and seed at different times, in the past this helped me achieve high download rates. I suppose I may have to change this habit.

Yeah I sometimes experince almost zero speed after the upgrade, been using using it for several days.

so when encounter this slow speed session I did a test to downgraded back to version 1.8.4 and speed went back to normal.

So something is wrong with the latest version of 2.0. I'm thinking the uTP is reading false positive of network congestion.

BitTorrent works on tit-for-tat, you give to get.

Other peers not only will upload to you slowly if you give to them slowly...they may refuse to upload to you at all! They instead will reward the peers that give them more. This is intentionally by design.

What it means is you need to give at least 2 KB/sec PER upload slot to get reasonable download speeds back...unless the torrent is almost entirely seeds.

Archived