Weird Connection Issue / No Router

SpencerJK

I've spent the last hour reading through the site, FAQs and guides. Not one post that I have found relates to issues that I have, but believe me I've done as much as I can with my knowledge.

I've suspected that my ISP is limiting me, so I enabled Outgoing Protocol Encryption and such, nothing. Not much that I can do with Port Forwarding since I have no router. What if I got a router? There is an exception in the Windows Firewall for uTorrent. Even disabling Windows Firewall doesn't help. I've even tried using Vuze, no luck. But anywho here is my situation...

I have an apartment with all bills paid and includes cable and internet (Ethernet Plug in Walls [suddenlink]). So I hook up my laptop directly to the wall, everything works fine but most of the time uTorrent shows the little yellow triangle with the !. Maybe one torrent will download at a very slow speed. Whenever I try to run the speed test through uTorrent, it will say "Connect failed error: Timed out (10060). The bottom half says, Port is not open (You are still able to download). I've set my Upload Speed manually consulting Speedtest.net. (I have a 5Mbit Down and 15Mbit Up connection.)

Now occasionally the Green check mark and circle will pop up and say everything is working fine. The download speeds still stay very low. Then after a few minutes the Yellow triangle pops back up.

Really I think Suddenlink is using an outside firewall to block me. But here is more food for thought. Most of the time I use an open network to browse the net. During the christmas time last year majority of the college kids in my apartments went on vacation and I was able to use this open network to download at 100kb/s+ speed! Now since they are all back I cannot download from the open network at all. I'm thinking this wireless network is the same Suddenlink service that is distributed throughout the apartments. (No idea how this works)! Why would it work before and not now? Never used the LAN to download at that time before. Would a router of my own help?

I tried to cover all the bases to get a direct answer... please help! I really hope I'm not SOL.

Your line's speeds down and up are extraordinarily odd...usually down is more than up, and by a considerable bit!

The topology of your apartment's networking matters.

Are there consumer-grade router/s between you and the "standard" internet connection?

Is that really a shared fiber connection? shared cable? wireless?!

Peak speeds are probably not what you'd be allowed to use in uTorrent 24/7, so you may have to ask about use limits. :(

Thanks for some useful advice, I'll end up calling the leasing office in the morning and see what the deal is. The line's speed is not a typo either... As way of connecting to the internet, I have a Coaxial Cable connection, RJ11 Socket, and a 8P8C Socket all as one switch-plate. In two of my walls. You're probably right about the peak speeds. I'll give an update tomorrow. Again thanks for the quick response and useful input!

To avoid mentioning BitTorrent specifically, you could ask what monthly bandwidth limits there are and if there's peak evening hours restrictions. (or recommendations.)

Trying to host an online game for friends is always something to ask if it's allowed. (That too requires OPEN ports.)

Archived