Used to work fine, now it rarely goes past 20kbps

ariknel

I have used u torrent for a long time now and it has always worked just fine. I live in argentina, where Internet is not great, but I could download from 100-180kbps. I went to Brazil on vacation and came back to Argentina. For the first few days it worked just fine, but then my downloads got slower and slower. I figured it could be my version that was quite old, so I changed it to 2.0 and the problem continues. Now I rarely have a good download speed. Upload is always bad, but because of my server, which means I can't upload much, but that has not been a problem for years, so I don't really think this is the problem now.

Yes, my Internet connection is not good, but I just want to go back to the way things were last year.

I'm assuming I was supposed take a look at "slow transfer speeds." I did all the step but the common procedures since you said "in particular." Nothing worked. I tested my connection with Glasnost to make sure my ISP wasn't throttling BitTorrent. Actually, it appear it is, here are the negative results:

1 - Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10012) throttled?

Your ISP possibly rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 129 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 26 Kbps. You can find details here.

2 - Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6884) throttled?

Your ISP possibly rate limits all downloads at port 6884. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 53 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 129 Kbps. You can find details here.

To be very honest I have no idea what all of this means and how to proceed from here. Please help me.

Glasnost says you get less than half the "regular" speed when you're using BitTorrent.

So your ISP probably screws pretty heavily with BitTorrent.

If you can't leave for a less hostile ISP, there's no good or easy answer.

I explain a bit about ISP throttling and possible workarounds you can try here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58714

(WARNING: Those settings were a special case for a wireless ISP!)

Using such restrictive settings can easily be WORSE than you already have, so you have to test to see what works best.

Archived