Problem after upgrading to uTorrent 2.0 (build 18296)

poehitman

I always run BitComet and uTorrent simultaneously ever since I began using uTorrent a few months ago and I've run it with no problem until this recent upgrade of uTorrent. Now after upgrading, it will run for a little bit, then my connection to the wireless router will drop off and refuse to reconnect and, oddly enough, my keyboard will quit. I'm assuming it's because the part of Windows Vista controlling the USB crashes since the mouse will still work and it runs through the normal mouse port, but the keyboard runs through the USB ports. Since the Wireless network adapter is the USB variety, I'm assuming that's why the network connection drops off as well. I can't get it to reconnect unless I reboot the computer itself and then it has to go through and "recheck" all the in-process torrents, which takes a while because most of them are several gigabytes large.

Is there a way to revert to the previous version without losing all the progress on my torrents?

I use uTorrent along with BitComet because some sites won't allow using BitComet with their trackers because it doesn't report ratios properly. I chose uTorrent because it's the easiest to use out of those they allow.

Also, is there a way to stop uTorrent from automatically setting aside the hard drive space for the content of a completed torrent before the files are even downloaded?

Because I like BitComet and it doesn't take up the hard drive space until the data is actually downloaded. That's why.

Here's an example. Say I'm downloading a torrent for a 4.20 GB ISO file. When I use BitComet, the file or folder size for that torrent begins at 0.0 GB and takes up space as parts of the file are downloaded until when it finally completes, then the file is the total 4.20 GB. It sets the space aside as the file is downloading instead of all at once at the beginning. When I use uTorrent, no matter if I have downloaded 1% or 100%, the file size on my hard drive is ALWAYS 4.20 GB. It annoys me greatly for those torrents that stall. Because if it stalls at 15% complete, it still takes up the hard drive space as if it was 100% complete.

Plus, BitComet doesn't play havoc with my network like uTorrent sometimes does.

Disable Preferences > General > Pre-allocate all files

And if you're asking for each file not to be allocated on write, then see Preferences > Advanced > diskio.sparse_files. Or perhaps Preferences > Advanced > bt.compact_allocation (though this option is less favored).

Well I looked in my preferences, and "Pre-Allocate All Files" was unchecked when I found it.

"Preferences > Advanced > diskio.sparse_files" is currently set to "False"

"Preferences > Advanced > bt.compact_allocation" is currently set to "False"

You never said what the last two were supposed to be set at.

The program will only set aside the entire space for a torrent file when I begin downloading it. Just making sure that's clear. If I don't start the torrent, the space isn't set aside.

Basically, if I've only downloaded 200 MB of a 4.20 GB torrent, I only want 200MB of my space taken up. The way uTorrent is currently working, it doesn't matter if I have 1 MB or the complete 4.20 GB torrent downloaded. It's ALWAYS taking up 4.20 GB once I begin the torrent, regardless of what I've downloaded.

THAT is why I like BitComet. Because it's set to where if I only have downloaded 200 MB of a 4.20 GB torrent, only 200 MB of hard drive space is taken up. It fills up the rest as I download more of the torrent.

"See" implies "look into" which implies "check the manual". Guess I should have been more explicit. But either way, those options are in Advanced because there may be drawbacks to those options (as explained in the manual), which is why I recommended that you look into them instead of telling you what to set them to.

"And you haven't specified what exact wireless adapter you have, nor have you told us what your uTorrent settings are to troubleshoot the other issue."

Ok, I'm using a Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Adapter. My operating System is Windows Vista Home Premium.

Tell me what settings you want to know and I'll tell you what they are set at. The only ones you've asked for I've already provided. Most settings are still on their default setting. I've capped my upload rate at 50 kB/s.

Global maximum number of connections: 140

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 45

Number of upload slots per torrent: 10

Maximum number of active torrents (upload or download): 25

Maximum number of active downloads: 15

That's all I can think of that I've changed.

I have used utorrent for, at least, 5-6 years and never had any problems but today after updating to ver.2.0 the program stops and I have to restart the pc in order to start up uTorrent again. after 10-15 minutes it stops again and the same procedure has to be don again. Is it possible to reload the earlier version again??

• 2 weeks later...

It "looks" like that the latest uTorrent update may have solved the USB crashing problem. I've been running with 5 torrents downloading for several hours and nothing has crashed. Before the update it would have crashed within an hour. Let's hope that works.

Archived