uTorrent 2.0 will not download

ovonrein

I had nothing but trouble since upgrading from my uTorrent from 1.8.5 to 2.0. I upload more than I download. I noticed initially that my uploading would not work. Disabling the router's firewall sorted this out. (Not great, but I will get around to implementing manual port forwarding at some point. Seems to me that the UPnP code in 2.0 has changed over 1.8.5 and is now no longer compatible with the implementation in my Belkin N Router.) Last night, I tried to download 2 mega-popular (according to the scrape) torrents but received zero connections over the last 12 hrs. uTorrent is simply not downloading. As I said, the router's firewall is off, uTorrent is a "trusted application" inside COMODO, but to rule out COMODO, I turned that off too (and am relying instead on M$ firewall in WinXP). It would therefore appear that uTorrent is voluntarily abstaining from downloading. Is there any new configuration inside 2.0 that I would need to consider? Thanks.

PS: I turned off "Enable bandwidth management".

Yes, I did. And I also tried to put the firewall into Training Mode to tackle the problem that way. In the end, as I wrote, I simply switched COMODO off altogether. No difference. And I believe that uTorrent should always punch thru M$ firewall, right? I'd be somewhat loathe to switch off ALL firewall protection (M$ included).

Seems so, yes. It's sitting there with, at least, a believable scrape: 46/4. Not finding any peers. I should perhaps mention in this context that I am deeply suspicious of some of the scrapes that 2.0 is showing me. Perhaps my back-catalogue of rare torrents has suddenly grabbed the community's imagination and everyone wants a piece of the action. Then again, it's likely just a mirage...

Any diagnostics in uTorrent I might see? Will it tell me somewhere if ports won't open, etc?

EDIT

News flash: OO has started to TRICKLE in. This may be an ISP problem. My up speed is also appalling (at this mo). I moved OO down the queue (not that interested ;-)) but the other torrents are still not coming in - despite 100s of seeds, supposedly. Change I made to get there: restarted router (again).

EDIT

2.0 is driving me mad. I completely rebuilt the firewall rules (in accordance with http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=7862) and also added another for 5351 (the Bonjour service, the reason perhaps why the router's firewall wasn't opening up). COMODO tells me that uTorrent maintains the customary dozens of open network connections and yet I struggle to have conversations with 3 peers!! COMODO also no longer registers any blocked traffic. I queue exclusively by seed/peer ratio and many of the torrents at the top of my queue have, according to the scrapes, dozens of peers looking for seeds. These people should be all over me. Yet they don't find to me. Downloading, whilst working (occasionally) is excruciatingly slow. But perhaps I am being militated against by uTorrent's fairness engine? I notice that, unlike in previous releases, I am NOT uploading 1 byte on the torrents that I am downloading. I should be, right? That's how the basic p2p stuff's supposed to happen: assume the Leech goes off-line as soon as he's complete, so let's see that we upload from him as much as we can whilst he's still taking stuff down... And if you don't play this game, if you refuse to upload, then uTorrent will penalize you with sluggish download performance. BUT I HAVE NOT TOLD IT NOT TO UPLOAD. I am sorely tempted to go back to 1.8.5. I have spent more than 20hrs infront of the computer because of this new release. I am royally P****ED OFF.

Bandwidth Management - disabled (changed from default enabled)

bt.tcp_rate_control - FALSE (changed from default is true)

net.calc_overhead - FALSE (default).

As I write this, I am uploading 20Kb/sec (my configured max) to only 2 torrents and only 3 peers. Perhaps 2.0 features a new queue scheduler? Which is trying perhaps to give higher speeds to fewer peers? 1.8.5 would talk to way more peers in this situation, typically spreading the available bandwidth pretty evenly across the max number of torrents configured (6).

I am trying to download 2 torrents, each with 300+ seeds according to the scrapes. I get NOTHING on either.

Arrrggghhhhh !!!!

EDIT

Switek, I'm wasting my time here. Right now, I am pumping 1x torrent to 2x peers. They are getting a great service. At the expense of everyone else. I want to go back to 1.8.5. Unfortunately, I only have the 1.8.2 image lying around. Is there somewhere I can get 1.8.5 back from? Thanks.

EDIT

Found an image of 1.8.5 - no difference. Then my SqueezeSvr started throwing up. Some research around the COMODO forum suggests that my firewall installation may have suffered a nervous breakdown. (They call it "corrupt installation" - the only one that tempered with my installation were COMODO themselves when they last upgraded their AV engine. Great.) Have now spend a few hours cleaning this thing off my system and also re-installed uTorrent 2.0 from scratch. At this moment, 2.0 is going all guns. So there's no problem with 2.0 and a MAJOR problem with COMODO. Will have to reinstall that next. Oh the joy...

Archived