Force recheck does not find manually added files, v2.0 build 18296

Gullydwarf

Recently I tried downloading a almost dead torrent. I got really far (93.5%).

I searched for another torrent containing the missing pieces and downloaded it. Compared with the files that should've been in the other torrent, size and type and stuff all seemed the same.

So I deleted all the broken files from the torrent that was not finishing and put the new files (with exactly the same names) in the folder where they should be. Now forcing a recheck muTorrent keeps saying that it has 93.5% instead of the expected 100%.

If it was a problem with the files themselves muTorrent should say they were gone altogether and start downloading new versions of them right? But it doesn't, it says exactly the same pieces missing as before I changed the files.

so how do you see if a file is corrupt?

and if the files I changed were checked but marked as corrupted why then are the other 11 files still marked as downloaded (for all but some of the start/last pieces) and not as completely missing?

Look dude, I know you like to give short answers but here your story just doesn't seem to make any sense, so you might want to think a little bit longer about it and tell me the complete story.

My story doesn't make sense because you don't understand the bittorrent protocol at that level of the process.

http://bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0003.html

http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification#Metainfo_File_Structure

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=262290#p262290

At that level of the process, the protocol has no concept of files.

The file is DETECTED as corrupt because the .torrent file contains SHA1 hashes of the segments of the files in it. When a segment's SHA1 hash doesn't match the torrent, that segment is discarded as corrupt.

It doesn't do anything with it...

It doesn't try to redownload anything and it doesn't show up as complete.

I completely removed 12 files and put 12 other files in exchange for them. If there was anything wrong with the new files I believe it should have shown up on a recheck that all 12 files were removed and are being downloaded again. instead only the already missing pieces from the old files show up as missing.

Why don't you even try understanding what someone is telling you before starting your "ow another one of those silly n00bs with a non-bug" routine.

• 1 month later...

Well I would only play the files on WinAmp and cannot remember having them ever accidently opening in WMP. Maybe that was already corrupted before I got the torrent, because those missing parts are the reason why I replaced the whole bunch by files from another torrent.

Archived