Disc overloaded - what to set diskio.write_queue_size?

ditchweed

Hey.

I get disk overloaded when downloading 3 or more torrents..

Read that it could help to Set diskio.write_queue_size to 2x -4x your maximum download speed.

I have 100/100mbit. What should I set Set diskio.write_queue_size to 2x? and what for 4x?

Any more tips on options I can change to get rid of the disk overload?

You could try increasing the size of the disk buffer. Just double it, see if you still have the issue, double it, etc.

You could also try unchecking the "Disable Windows caching of ..." options, although the Windows cache has been known to eat memory forever, so your machine might eventually slow to a halt.

Other suggestions include:

- Make sure "Pre-allocate all files" is checked

- Enable diskio.no_zero

- Download fewer things at once ;)

DreadWingKnight: I'm using utorrent 2.0

Greg Hazel: You could try increasing the size of the disk buffer. Just double it, see if you still have the issue, double it, etc.

You could also try unchecking the "Disable Windows caching of ..." options, although the Windows cache has been known to eat memory forever, so your machine might eventually slow to a halt.

Other suggestions include:

- Enable diskio.no_zero

- Download fewer things at once wink

I followed your tips and it helped a bit. Used to have up to 100% disk overload now only 67% max(so far)

You got any more tips I can use?

Thanks

DreadWingKnight: I noticed that. Just recently updated my utorrent.

utorrentg.png

I have 1024 on "override automatic cache size and specify the size manually" only becuase with lower I get even higher disk overload.

Edit: I might add I download/seed from an external drive via firewire 800. It have the same rpm as my internal harddrives.

OK. I will tick both "Disable Windows' Caching"

EDIT: Still the same problem.. Sometimes I even get disk overload when only downloading 2 torrents.

Guess I'll have to download 1 at a time.

If you don't have any more suggestions?

Thanks for the help so far..

Lord alderaan:

The thing is I have never encountered this problem before when on internal drives. Can run over 10MB/s up and down at the same time without a problem.

It's now when I do it through firewire the problem have started. Firewire is capable to take a lot more speed then let's say 8Mb/s.

I have now uTorrent 2.0.1 Beta.

Any fixes I can make there to get rid of my problem?

Thanks

External drives are slower. Furthermore, there is a (pretty large) seek time penalty introduced by having the drive external, and usually a speed penalty too. Random I/O suffers the most. eSATA is so far the only thing that doesn't do this, but that's because of what eSATA is...

You may actually have better results with a really small cache instead of a big one.

Firewire is capable to take a lot more speed then let's say 8Mb/s.

There is a big difference between sequential (as with normal copy/move actions) read/writes at 8MB/s and non-sequential (as with bitorrent) read/writes at 8MB/s.

With non-sequential read/writes both the drive and the interface are burdened a lot more. The Firewire interface (and even more so for USB btw) doesn't handle this very well. And as a result you get disc overloaded messages.

My recommendation is to use SATA (internal) or eSATA (external) drives to download to and seed from. If you don't have a lot of room then you could download to a SATA drive and then move the completed downloads to the Firewire drive and then continue to seed them from there. This can be done automatically by µTorrent.

Btw even SATA has it limits, you can still run into disc overloaded at the speeds you mention. If that happens the only solution (besides capping the speed in µTorrent) is certain raid setups.

i have the same problem.

i've try any suggestions:

- Enable diskio.no_zero

- Download fewer things at once

- Uncheck Reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed.

- Uncheck Turn off read caching if upload speed is slow.

- Uncheck Remove old blocks from the cache.

- Check the two "Disable Windows' Caching" options.

and more and more and more......

NO RESULT!

And only when I have uncheck Enable cashing of disk write my speed departed to heavens. From 5kb/s to 6mb/s

add. windows x32, ext HDD 2TB, usb 2.0

• 5 weeks later...

Uh, I know I missed the boat on this one, but I'm surprised that no one's suggested to ditchweed to try turning "Write out finished pieces immediately" off. Naturally, if you're downloading at >= 8MB/s, you're finishing pieces very quickly, and with that option enabled, pieces would be flying to the disk like there's no tomorrow -- which could easily trigger a disk overload.

Indeed, though, having an external drive doesn't help matters.

Archived