What Information Is Relayed Through the Falcon Servers?

stickyboot

I am just wondering, what kind of data, encrypted or not, is sent through or relayed the falcon servers?

My initial understanding of how this all works is:

My torrent client informs the falcon server of where it is on the internet.

When logging in remotely, the falcon server hosts the interface, and negotiates the connection to your home computer.

This is the point at which I am confused. What kinds of information is sent from my utorrent client to me remotely through the falcon servers? Does falcon get a list of torrents (encrypted) running on my server and then send it back to me remotely where it is decrypted? Do I just load the interface from the falcon servers and all that information from my client is sent to me directly once the connection is negotiated?

Maybe I missed some kind of design thread in which these details are explained (I searched though!). If I did please just direct me there. If not, could someone explain?

Everything is proxied through Falcon, but only you can decrypt anything. Even if we tried to capture the traffic and decrypt it, we can't, since we don't know your password (or even a hash of it, so we can't brute force it either). The authentication protocol used is a zero-knowledge proof. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_remote_password_protocol

All data is then encrypted with AES-128.

Here's the privacy FAQ:

http://falcon.utorrent.com/srp/privacy

In most cases, there's no easy way for us to send the information to you "directly," or we'd do so.

We may add a feature in the future so that if you've mapped ports or otherwise have an externally addressable uTorrent WebUI, we could redirect you to it, then send the information (and interface) directly, but our goal today is private remote access with zero configuration.

Ok good to know! Sounds like a pretty secure system, but the data flow was ambiguous until you replied. This was not a feature request in disguise, but may I suggest posting a little bit more about how data is moved around and who talks to who in the falcon system as it is somewhat ambiguous right now on the privacy page.

Archived