Very Low Speed. I have tried EVERYTHING. Help please :(

brebre84

I have read what seems like hundreds of different threads on the throttled networks, however for everyone else in my region the new encryption seems to have solved the problem. However, this is not solving it for me.

I get a Network OK.

I'm using Cable internet with Rogers at 1.3 megabits per second.

Windows XP.

D-Link DI - 524 Wireless Router

I have no Firewall (windows firewall is disabled also)

My port is forwarded properly, except for some reason I cannot make it a static IP, does this make a HUGE difference? My IP does stay the same.. If this is what is making the difference, how do I find the DNS when using a wireless router? it just says the DNS is the same address as the router.

Rogers is known for throttling, however in many forums everyone said to get utorrent and just enable encryption and it worked for them.

I am using port 1720...

utorrentslowspeeds.jpg

I wasn't soo concerned until I saw desperate housewives has almost 2000 seeders, and I can't get more than 1 kb/s. Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you soo much in advance :)

When you say your IP stays the same... are you talking about external IP, or internal IP? Because internal IPs often change, and it's important if your DHCP server (usually the router) decides to give you a new IP address often. In this case, though, I don't think it should be affecting speeds... Were your speeds always this low, or did it start happening recently?

I have tried about 7 different ports, and they are all slow. I am using the latest beta now.. and i have the ecryption set to forced.

My speeds used to be about 100 kb/s, and now they are painfully slow. They have never taken this long. And no, my router doesn't change my IP, i just thought the reason why I was having such low speeds was because I can't make the IP static.. guess not. :(

another thing that is a little weird is i can't uninstall utorrent. should it be this way? i want to uninstall it so i can reinstall the new beta version only, because right now when i download the exe file it just prompts utorrent but i can't tell if it is actually upgrading anything

thanks for all your help!

oh!!! what isp are you using?

from what you are saying, i have no doubt ur being capped (the dl and ul speeds are being capped at 1/5th or so of the speeds you are paying for, which is illegal but many ISPs do it anyway) call your ISP and say "i think im being capped" and they will fix it. same thing happened to me, and in a few hours im getting a callback and uncappage!!

i know!! thats so stupid!

there are seven 125 page threads on this on dslreports.com forums and some people are starting a class action lawsuit against optimum online :)

argh!!!

oh and theres a "premium tier" of optonline, which is 15/month extra for 30mb dl 2mb ul

and THEY CAN STILL CAP YOU!!!

so if they do, your paying EXTRA 60/month total for 1/5 of REGULAR speeds!

argh!!!

i know and it really bones because they cap your upload, not your download. i have a 15mb download, so if they capped that i really wouldnt notice because i can only get so much out of it because of my router and network. but my upload is only 2mb, and when they cap it it goes down to around 16 kb. their justification is that "excessive uploaders" screw up the network for other users, which is total bull, because i was categorized as an excessive uploader while using only half the upload bandwidth i payed for.

edit: i hope optonline loses and has to pay me lots of damages.

I still remember way back when... before I got broadband, Optimum Online was "the shit." No one (or at least barely anyone) could touch the 10mb/s that they were offering for like... $35/month at the time. Now I feel lucky that they weren't in my area when I decided to jump onto broadband =X

Archived