transfer torrent from one PC to another?

docfoster

Greetings all,

On my laptop I have a torrent that is 70% complete, I now wish to continue the d/l on my main computer is this possible ?? I have transferred the part finished folder to main computer via flash drive with the utorrent short cut inside the folder, but when I activate it starts from the beginning.

That might work if it's on the same computer but moving to different computer your going to have to no only copy the incomplete download files but the torrent link itself onto the new computer and then clicking or opening the torrent and see if it catches the torrent and file to restart the process. Just make sure your transfer medium has enough space to hold the incomplete download file because you said it was 70% done could be a big file or small.

The file from "my music" on the old PC which contained the tracks that have been d/l + the utorrent short cut + images etc this was copied onto flash drive and entered onto main computer, I am assuming that this would be identical with the folder in "downloads" as it was copied and pasted from there

The file from "my music" on the old PC which contained the tracks that have been d/l + the utorrent short cut + images etc This was transferred and is the one I am entering from, are you saying that it is different from the one in [downloads] ?? I do not understand the term 'level' in this context

Here's what you might and should've have done like I did make separate folders for the torrent program to use. You should've created individual folders for torrent to work with like one for torrent files and one for downloading torrents aka incomplete downloads where there saved and one for completed torrents as it says and finally one for trash aka where torrents places finished torrent files so as to not confuse with idle incomplete downloads. That is what I found out works and makes it easier to know what is going on with torrent files. If you move torrent files and the saved data the similar computer has to have the same setup and settings as your previous computer cause the data settings will look for the same configuration and if it doesn't see it-it will start over just as you said. I know I done this before as a test just moving the torrent file and saw the same thing and thought what is going on til I remember the new settings has to match the old settings for the torrent program to start the DN/UP over again. So go back to the original computer and torrent program and make sure the other computer matches those settings. If not you going to have to make the adjustments and changes to it thinks the computer now is the same as the first. So what was set in the first must match the settings in the second computer.

Thanks PiusX.

I am trying to work all of this out, my new computer (Vista) creates these folders automatically, but my lap top (XP) does not have this 'auto create' so I will have to search for it 'if it exists'

What does puzzle me is that the file that I did transfer should have had this info in it,

As it showed all of the tracks completed or not.

I do know as long as you match the new with the old settings and folders it should find it and restart the torrents. I know I did once a transfer and forgot to set the folder in Ut and it started over and I was like how can that be I was almost finished and had many torrents that were missing. It wasn't til I looked at my Ut folder or directory setting that I saw it wasn't point to any folder and when I did that along with copying the app/data folder to the right user directory and the restarted Ut it found them checked them and restarted them. That was going from XP to Win7.

Archived