How to transfer uTorrent's settings?

Pixel Eater

What are the preferred methods for transferring uTorrent's settings to a new Windows install? I mean while keeping the torrents the same and everything. Is copying and pasting the AppData\uTorrent folder the only and best option?

If so, I'm out of luck since all that gets me is an unstable/freezing uTorrent 2.0 :/

Another random question: Does anything in uTorrent's configuration contain options that would work for a hdd, but interfere with a ssd?

There aren't really any settings in particular that would break SSDs. Perhaps you may want to increase the cache size and tune the cache settings a bit so that you hit the SSD slightly less often (since they have limited read/write counts per cell, IINM), but things that shouldn't be required.

The only way to transfer settings without reconfiguring is indeed to just copy the %appdata%\uTorrent folder.

Copying the appdata file is a first start and also the folder containing all the incomplete torrents as well. And also you reinstall Ut make sure the settings from the old computer plus folders and directories match the old Ut settings otherwise it will start from 0 or worse delete your incomplete torrents that you were trying to finish downloading.

Yes, that's what I've done. All of the torrent data and matching .torrents are neatly kept on a separate drive which is in place and ready. I am attempting to keep 2000 torrents on offer (low peer count, almost never intensive) and do have demanding settings, however I've never had a problem before. In fact just recently I got my settings running very harmoniously and tailored just for balanced seeding.

When I open the new uTorrent install, all of my stuff is there, but it's highly unstable. I've not been able to run more than an hour without uTorrent triggering a hard freeze of an otherwise happily installed Windows 7.

Wow, 2000 torrents that alot hopefully they aren't all running. What version of 7 are you using? I have 7x64 Ult and don't have any freezing other then coming from sleep mode but once it starts again all is fine. What kinda connection do you have and what router are you using? I would say keep your torrenting down to lower file transfer having 2k torrents is way to much unless your Fiber then I say go for it. And it's good you kept each action separate cause I found out that hard way if all are in the same folder without any separation it makes it hard to know what is what and you might just delete the wrong file causing more anguish.

Yeah, attributing the freezing to Windows 7 x64 (what I had before. what I installed on this ssd.) is, I think, out of the question. As for the 2000 torrents thing, I have a thread where we made sure it could work here. My network is awesome. So is FiOS.

The main thing itt is I had all of this working extremely well on a WD raptor, and now something in uTorrent or just its settings is broken as I try to make the move to SSD.

It turns out this was an issue with the SSD, not uTorrent. It's an Intel, so is known for working well, but geeeeze. All I forgot to do was install my Atheros L1 Ethernet driver. SSDs can be very peculiar about the environment to which they're installed. Anything from incorrectly voltaged RAM to being in anything less than a logically numbered (0 or 1, mostly matters for RAID) SATA port may cause freezing symptoms. In my case, something from the networking end. Again, wouldn't happen with a hdd, but they say it's most often the user's deal if current generation SSDs don't work out.

I've been using the computer all day and can finally report happy torrenting. Thanks for putting up with my nonsense :rolleyes:

Archived