mechanism to favor bandwidth to connectable users ?

juan_valdez

Hello,

In terms of seeding, is there a way currently to automatically favor bandwidth and / or connections to those peers who are connectable ?

Will be seeding across a 10mbit interface, and would like to favor those who will help the swarm more.

Thanks for any input !

Switeck, thanks. That's a little more throttling than I had in mind, but very true :)

I believe you could firewall off Teredo tunnels/IPv6 also, but to block uTP you'd have to make it a private torrent . . . or block all uTP communication, ugh. Also, for those using search, these methods would affect every torrent, both sedding and leeching . . .

Just thinking of a way to reward those who've managed to be connectable. I realize in some cases a user is somewhere they can't control, in terms of connectability, but it may get a larger number of folks to actually work through the process to being connectable with their setup, if they knew that they were being throttled.

I'd rather not exclude them, just put them at a lower "interested" level (some alternative form of prioritization unchoking, as uTorrent rotates who gets a slot at the seed).

But then I realize that since this isn't buried somewhere in the Advanced Options, this would essentially be asking for a new algorithm and I am not sure any developer community thinks it's worth that much effort. I just thought I'd check ;)

In any case. Connectible users are already favored over the inconnectible ones simply because you can't connect to the latter. They have to come to you.

Technically inconveniencing them further only makes the swarm even more unhealthy (if the goal is getting the data to all the peers efficiently).

Aha, point taken. This would be for folks who are going to seed back for at least 72 hours or to at least a 1:1 ratio, but that's certainly not true everywhere.

You've caught the nuances, "favor" vs. "bar", and I hadn't thought of that aspect but it doesn't take a 7 layer OSI-cake to figure out what you said is correct. Thanks ;)

For initial seeding, connecting only to the connectible users on a public torrent is almost a must.

You could also run 2 clients, 1 that's firewalled and another that is not but doesn't make any outgoing connections. You might have to play with the trackers as well so only the unfirewalled one's port gets attempted by incoming peers.

Archived