Should I really do a manual port forwarding or not?

onetti

Hi all,

I'm not sure if I should proceed in the forwarding ports section of the Connection Setup Guide or not.

Basically, I followed all prior connection setup steps, including a "Slackware" successfull test. I also passed the "Resolving a NAT problem" test, and, by looking at my router configuration, saw that it has UPnP enabled, but I'm not sure if that means that the ports are already correctly being forwarded, or if I should anyway proceed with the manual port forwarding. What is adding some confusion to me is the fact that this router shows in the "Portforward Router Guide" link in the Connection Setup Guide, and also because I found some Internet hits showing how to manually port forwarding both my wireless router and modem/router (same exact brand and model)

Also, this router is a wireless one, bridged over a modem/router that had been previously set up to manually port forwarding, and that was left as it was when I later added the wireless one (When I added the wireless router to my network, I had to release all fixed IP´s on my computers, so I believe the modem/router port forwarding is now useless. But should it be undone?)

Thanks,

Gustavo

If you mean the Options Setup Guide Network, yes, I did, and I passed it, it returned "Port is open. Your network is correctly configured", and a green ok symbol next to it.

Not sure if this also confirms that I'm ok, but when I look at the Detailed Info Panel for my current torrent download, Peers tab, flag "I" is shown for all the peers that show in that list. If those peers could established an incoming connection, then they were able to get through my uTorrent port, correct?

In summary, I think I want to assure that I´m not running under that firewaled condition described in uTorrent Help guide.

Hum, I don't think I got you, sorry.

So, regarding the fact that I could see the connected IP's as "I", how would I make sure they´re not uTP or Teredo 1.6 like you told before? In other words, how would I make sure that I'm not being firewalled? I understand that you gave me the tip on this by mentioning turning off the Resolve IPs option, but then, how and where to look for those letters w, x, y z? If you could give me the steps to do so, I´d appreciate.

I really tried to go a little bit deeper in this subject to avoid asking things that are already answered out there, by taking a good look at guides and help texts, but in this case, I didn´t feel confident in concluding that I'm ok in regards to this firewall issue.

Hum, I deserve that tongue ...

So, what I get here is a bunch of non-uTP IP´s showing flag "I", and also download/upload speeds, and a bunch of uTP IP´s, some of them also showing "I" and activity speeds. I have both types connected.

But nothing like "IPv ..." showing at the end of the IP string, like uTP does for some.

Is that it?

You have to right-click in the Peers window/tab to disable Resolve IPs to make IPv4 addresses show as pure 0-255 numbers separated by periods.

Incidentally, this will make uTorrent run a tiny bit faster as it doesn't have to make connections to resolve those ips.

Yes, thanks, you've mentioned that before in an early reply in this post, and it was without resolving IP's that I could see that no IPv IP was connected to my active torrent, at least until now.

So, the rule is, if ALL connected IP´s are either uTP and/or IPv6, I'm firewalled; if there are other IP´s than those types connected, regardless if there are ALSO those types connected, than I'm not in a firewalled condition.

Just to conclude.

Thanks

Archived