Dynamic number of upload slots based on upload capacity

StoicJester

It would be better for them to be dynamic and based on your upload capacity. You could choose a minimum speed you want every upload slot to have, and µTorrent should automatically create upload slots per torrents so that minimum is reached. Say you have a 40kB upload and you want each upload slot to have 5kB. If you're running 4 torrents, µTorrent should automatically create 2 upload slots per torrent, but if you're running only 2 torrents, it should automatically create 4 upload slots. This would also take care of changes that the scheduler causes in upload capacity, or if you have a different upload rate when only seeding.

edit for clarity

+0.5?

Only problem is what happens when the peer being uploaded to doesn't want the whole slot. I go with a +1, but only after some solution to that is created. (Useful seeding == good) The easiest way would just be to open a new slot for the rest, and get rid of the extra as soon as one of those two was done. But that will leave a second user who can use the whole slot without it.

Of course, the efficiency of seeding still probably goes up, and it will almsot certainly be more distributed amongst the other peers, which is very good; so I'd guess overall improvement, but don't know evert detail of the protocol well enough to be sure.

i believe that utorrent has already implemented this feature such that it tries to reach the highest speed possible allowed by the bandwidth or the cap. there is also an option to open more slots if the upload speed is less than 90% of maximum speed allowed. generally, 90% of your maximum upload speed becomes your minimum upload speed.

however, in spite of this, a forced minimum upload speed would still not be a guarantee that utorrent would upload at as such speed. this is when (a) only seeders are connected to you, (B) the total download speed of the peers connected to you would only accept downloads that is less than your minimum indicated speed, © the peers connected to you would snub your offer (because it's possible that their download speed is maxed out and they are downloading from other seeds/peers), and (d) your upload bandwidth is all used up by the actual traffic, such that peer communication is prevented from flowing properly.

just my opinion.

Archived