uTorrent Processes not Closing

kamegami

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting it on a relatively clean system with just a couple of games, MS Office, Catalyst/Logitech/Razer/Creative drivers installed, no third party software firewall (just the default Windows one), no antivirus. You can see the list of running processes on my system in my first post in this thread:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=471168#p471168

Actually if you check majod's post located just before my first one in this thread, you can see that he is also reporting this issue on 32bit Windows 7.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=468146#p468146

Pfc_J,

DreadWingKnight is just repeating Firon's post for emphasis/importance.

There is no good expecting the current version of uTorrent or BitTorrent (a rebranded uTorrent) to "just work", the fix Firon got may take awhile to apply to the next (fixed!) version.

And the FAQ and Search are DWK's signature that's attached to every post...not his reply to Firon. :P

hmmm I thought "I have a potential fix from Microsoft. I'll post later today with the files and instructions" meant like he got a hotfix type of deal from MS that would have to be installed on the system (hence the "files and instructions"). So you mean it's really something that has to be integrated into the client itself?

DreadWingKnight is just repeating Firon's post for emphasis/importance.

There is no good expecting the current version of uTorrent or BitTorrent (a rebranded uTorrent) to "just work", the fix Firon got may take awhile to apply to the next (fixed!) version.

And the FAQ and Search are DWK's signature that's attached to every post...not his reply to Firon.

Thank you.

Grumpiest sig I ever did see.

The fix is for Windows itself, yes. It has nothing to do with µTorrent. It's a beta patch though, so it requires some work to use and you will need to revert it once the official patch comes out. We need confirmation that the fix works for everyone before it gets rolled into a hotfix.

You need to do the following:

1) Use Driver Signature Enforcement Override from http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo and enable test mode.

2) Backup your existing tcpip.sys from %Windir%\system32

3) Reboot into safe mode. Copy the -correct- tcpip.sys (x86 if 32-bit, AMD64 if 64bit) into %WinDir%\system32

4) Reboot back into normal mode with signature enforcement disabled

http://download.utorrent.com/tcpipfix.zip

Again, please make sure you choose the correct tcpip.sys. Once you have confirmed the fix is working, feel free to roll everything back (put your original tcpip.sys in place, disable test signing).

Edit: test with the standard 2.0.2 build, NOT the hack from earlier.

Thank you.

Grumpiest sig I ever did see.

I've seen the same question asked by new posters in the same forum in less than 1 hour...where the answer was given in a message thread fewer than 3 posts below, or given all over the forums/FAQ/manual. The forum sees a lot of traffic even without repeated already-answered questions.

Firon,

I'd be happy to test the Windows patch, but I couldn't get it to work. On Step 3, when I try to replace the tcpip.sys file with the new one, I get an "Access denied" error, even though UAC is disabled and DSEO test mode is enabled.

By the way, the tcpip.sys file is in %Windir%\System32\drivers, not %Windir%\System32.

Administrators not have write access rights to that file. To solve that i changed file owner to my account. I not know how elements sound in english windows version. Go to security tab in tcpip.sys properties window. At bottom is Advanced button. In new window you can change owner, by default there is TrustedInstaller.

Strange, but when i received rights i replaced file without reboot in safe mode. Don't forget to reboot after that.

Hi guys,

Temporary fix is to download utorrent again and rename it, utorrent(1).exe for example, then open up that up. It let me end the process. It seems the new version fixed things for a while but I've got the problem again as well :(

Archived