Encrypted Handshakes

wildlife_euth

I use uTorrent and PeerGuardian. Two things...

1. I have set most of my 100% completed downloads to paused, so they are not being served up; I am concentrating on seeding just 14 torrents. Under the Logger tab I am logging incomming connections. I keep on seeing 'Encrypted handshake completed' messages for two torrents that WERE on my system, 100% complete, but they were both paused, so I thought I was not seeding them. Forum rules prohibit me from saying what the two torrents were called, but you can email me if you need to know for diagnostic purposes. Is someone somewhere somehow building up a list of 'haves' for these two titles? I deleted the torrents and the encrypted handshakes stopped immediately.

2. I used to use PeerGuardian with just the basic list, bt level 1. I have added bt level 2 and discovered that my download speed has increased from 6kb/s to 120kb/s. Does this mean that there is a torrent poisoner in bt level 2 that was draining my performance to nearly nothing? I.e. now I am filtering bt level 2 the torrent poisoner cannot interfere? Is there another explanation?

Any feedback on either point would be much appreciated!

Don't use pause...STOP torrents that you intend to go more than 2 hours without running.

Peers/seeds got your ip on other torrents earlier and retry that ip often.

The use of a longer blocklist is almost certainly incidental.

1st and 2nd links in my signature.

Do keep in mind that with your probably shared bandwidth connection that you cannot utilize 100% upload speed without neighbors/roommates/admins getting angry. :P

Thank you, Swieck. You've been a great help.

BTW - my sudden speed increase was a coincidence. My ISP upgraded me to ADSL 'Turbo' without me asking or being told (until today). My bandwidth is now 1500/256kbps but I'm still using the conservative settings because it's the upload speed that is the limiting factor for downloads if I understand the logic correctly. It seems to be downloading stuff faster than I can use it anyway.

I have a question about the chart on http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58404 though: the bottom line shows for a 100 mbit/sec maximum upload line you should set maximum global upload rate to 10,000kb/s, which is 10% of the available capacity. Why? Am I reading the chart wrong? I could understand if the upload rate was multiplied by slots and torrents or something like that.

I decided my maximum upload speed is 256kb/s so I set my maximum global upload rate to 22kb/s. Nowhere* does it explain why you only use ~10% of the available upload capacity of the line. I'm not using my connection for aything elae. Can you explain that to me?

* Nowwhere = the thread where the chart is, other page links in your sig, or the FAQ.

I decided my maximum upload speed is 256kb/s so I set my maximum global upload rate to 22kb/s. Nowhere* does it explain why you only use ~10% of the available upload capacity of the line. I'm not using my connection for aything elae. Can you explain that to me?

* Nowwhere = the thread where the chart is, other page links in your sig, or the FAQ.

The chart shows "256 kbit/sec" which is 256 kilobits/second upload bandwidth.

UNDER the chart is a CAPTION that reads:

Connection Type/ Upload Maximum = UPLOAD speed in kilobits/sec OR megabits/sec. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DOWNLOAD SPEED MAX! A "10 megabit/sec" cable line has that speed only for download...upload speed is likely 1 megabit/sec OR LESS!

UPLOAD Limit = Maximum Upload (Speed) Rate in KiloBYTES/second

The UPLOAD Limit is in KiloBYTES/second.

22 KiloBYTES/second takes at least a theoretical 176 kilobits/sec, but because of overheads and the line probably being shared it's simpler and probably closer to accurate to assume 10 bits overall bandwidth used per BYTE of file uploaded...so that'd be 220 kilobits/sec.

An ADSL modem provisioned at 256 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth that's not overprovisioned will only have about 22-25 KiloBYTES/second upload speed usable due to PPPoE and other ADSL-related overheads.

Thanks for that. I read the chart footnotes incorrectly: it clearly says the units in column 2 are kBytes/s but I read the numbers as kbits/s. The overhead due to the communication protocol makes sense.

Also, thanks for all the effort you're putting in here -- my connection is really flying now! :)

Archived