Connection slows down after about 5 mins

tom21091

I'm not entirely sure when it happened, but I'm gonna guess it's when I DLed 2.0

Anywho, after about 2 minutes of choosing a new port, my download speeds drop to lows and my whole network slows down. After I choose a new random port and press apply, my speeds shoot up and my internet goes smoothly again.. for another 2 minutes.

I AM using a router and I have tried forwarding the port in use but it doesn't seem to do anything...

I'm pretty noob at ports and connections tho, so any help is appreciated.

btw I'm using Windows XP, Comcast, uhmm ask if you need any more info

I'm hoping this is just a simple problem.

My symptoms were pretty identical last week and I therefore have a propensity to read the same disease into your situation. If you continue to have problems after above, consider that TPB has ceased its tracker services around the same time that uTorrent 2.0 became available and that the chances are that a great deal of your torrents will rely on TPB for peer acquisition (do you have lots of red arrows?). All these torrents will now look for the next best thing to find peers, which in uTorrent's default config includes DHT. I found that DHT simply kills my connectivity - probably because it needs way more connections than I have configured for all of uTorrent. You might find that when you disable DHT (and rely on PEX only) that things speed up significantly. Alternatively, you may find that in the post-TPB era we all need to configure way more connections (to make DHT work). I am still unclear on the latter.

As I say, bear in mind that your disease may be different from mine - even if the symptoms are similar. One symptom I experienced (which you haven't mentioned) is that I found peers breaking away. My uTorrent would grind to a halt after a while with zero peers left (and 300 open connections)...

Ok, explain more moogly. The torrents that I DLed from other people all have trackers associated with them. Many of these only feature one tracker, TPB. All these things turned red recently. How does OpenBitTorrent help me in this instance? Do I need to trawl thru all the orphaned torrents and add OpenBitTorrent?

"I don't really understand you want to keep TPB announce in your torrent jobs " - where on earth did I write that? I have deleted them everywhere and as a consequence ended up with plenty of tracker-less torrents. Just trawled thru the catalogue and added OBT. Looks good...

Archived