After starting µtorrent sounds start to crackle?

Cronicle

Hey I have little problem with my sounds after starting µtorrent there come about every 20sec a stop / stutter in sound and that pretty annoing also it causes DPC latency goes over 40k µs when it should stay under 500. Link to software http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml . So does enyone have same kind a problems or have any solution? I'm running with 2.0 µtorrent and windows 7 with enough power to run music and utorrent at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

The source of high DPC latencies is network use, it happens to a lot of people, even when loading sites. For some reason, uTorrent triggers it to a point where having uTorrent open is as if one was loading websites 24/7 non-stop. Now, what we want to know is if there is a way to make uTorrent not do this. I'm sure it's something related to connections.

screenshot2010033015071.th.jpg

So it would be nice not to get the "check the links in my signature" bullshit when one is not complaining about download speed and/or slow browsing.

Without more information I am not refusing to help, I *CAN'T* help!

I know nothing about what hostile software may be on your computer.

...And the last part of the last section of the 1st link in my signature would at least give us a slight chance of spotting the source/s of your problem.

The source of high DPC latencies is network use, it happens to a lot of people, even when loading sites. For some reason, uTorrent triggers it to a point where having uTorrent open is as if one was loading websites 24/7 non-stop. Now, what we want to know is if there is a way to make uTorrent not do this. I'm sure it's something related to connections.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6149/screenshot2010033015071.th.jpg

So it would be nice not to get the "check the links in my signature" bullshit when one is not complaining about download speed and/or slow browsing.

It's only when you have broken drivers that this happens. :)

Actually, after further testing I've found out it's related to network activity (internet). If I reload a site a lot of times the red spikes are triggered, so are them if I open utorrent, but this does not happen at system startup.

Cronicle, are you using a Nvidia card? There's some shit that nvidia cards have that is called Powermizer and disabling it relieves some of those spikes (and if they are caused solely by your card then they are gone). Sadly, this is not my case.

My apologies to Switeck for accusing him of bulshittery

• 3 months later...

I have this problem. I also have an overclock, but I would rather not set it back to normal because I overclocked because I need it.

Is there anything else I can do? This never used to be a problem for me in Windows XP. I have since upgraded to Windows 7 and now the problems start. Nothing else on my computer has changed, so it makes me think there might be a solution to it. My hardware is as follows:

e6600 overclocked to 3.6ghz

ati hd5870

soundblaster xfi extreme music

4gig corsair ram

intel SSD

windows 7, everything up to date.

Its probably interference from the abnormally high voltages running through your system. Well if you're not willing to slow down your overclock the only other option is to make sure that your pci timing matches what you've done to the cpu clock.

Oh and you should take a look at this link. It would suggest that your system is incredibly unstable, Probably crashing/locking up every couple hours. That cpu is really only stable up to about 3.4 with some impressive cooling adjustments. 3.2 is as high as I would recommend taking it to avoid issues. http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/core2duo_e6600/12.html

What do you mean about pci timings matching the cpu clock?

My voltage isn't actually much higher than stock, and the system is perfectly stable. It doesn't crash, ever. I can play games all day and it never locks up or crashes. I have good cooling so temps aren't a problem either. I also don't care about the life of the CPU. If it dies it dies. It's already 3 years old and it's been overclocked for most of that time, so it doesn't owe me anything now. If it dies it would just give me the excuse I need to buy an i7.

The only problem I have is with uTorrent, and like I said, it wasn't a problem when I was using Win XP. If anything, I would rather downgrade back to XP and keep my overclock, but I would rather find another solution if there is one.

The pcie slot will have its own clock and to properly balance out and keep the whole system in sync it must also be overclocked at the same speed or it can cause problems like this, same as with the ram. While your system may appear stable to you, I highly doubt it would last an hour on a proper benchmark. Obviously problems like this are coming up so something isn't up to par. My recommendation is take the clock back down to a 3.2 that should deal with most of your problems and still give you a decent boost.

Windows 7 has had sound issues when heavy networking was occurring. Try searching the forum for more details, I remember Firon making some comment about it. Did you check the system stability with something like Prime95? P95 is good OC testing.

I had a friend with a problem related to that, he had a pcie wireless N card and when it was transfering at full speed he would have sound skips. I'm positive its interference. Either from the overclock or a card without proper shielding. (if you have a seperate NIC)

As far as prime95 goes run it for at least an hour, 24 to be completely sure your system is stable. The longer it runs the harder it pushes the system.

Sorry for the late reply. I used Prime 95 when I first did the overclock. I ran it for around 11 hours straight and there was no problem. I don't actually have any other problems, just uTorrent, so the easiest solution is to just turn uTorrent off when I want to listen to music. I could reduce the overclock but I really need it to be clocked as high as possible so that's not going to happen.

I could also go back to XP because there was no problem in that at all. This PC has been stable (with overclock) for the 3 years I've had it, so it's only now since I got Win7 that it has been giving me this stuttering problem.

Is it not possible that there could be an updated uTorrent that fixes the problem?

• 4 weeks later...

same problem with the static sound or sound that is barely listenable at all while torrenting. If I put the torrents on 'pause' it is ok again, but then I can't download and can only upload minimally- which sucks for the torrents because I have a high speed cable connection. Don't have any of these other problems with firewalls or download/upload - except occasional freeze-ups or crashes-probably because I increased the # of torrents that could be downloaded simultaneously in options here is my basic configuration without using everest/bellarc for every last detail. On some other site it said the choppy sound while playing audio + torenting is because the torrents 'write to cache' or something like that your average nob like me doesn't know about. If this can get resolved I can have my torrents up more frequently and faster upload speeds. Thanks for any suggestions.

vista sp 2, HP, 4GB ram, 64 bit, 250 gig HD, zonealarm, AVG, 64 bit, AMD , NVIDIA.

This may be fairly random, but have you checked your cables for shielding. Try moving your network cable (i'm assuming Ethernet here) as far away from your speaker cable (3.5mm I'm guessing) as possible. If they're right beside each other. large volumes of traffic could cause crosstalk. I've seen a few cases where mouse cabling caused a buzz when it was within a couple inches of the speaker wire. It wouldn't be completely unexpected for the network cable to do the same thing.

If it turns out to be that you could either move the cables as far apart as possible or get a shielded patch cable.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved - at least my problem is solved. I too started having terrible sound when torrentting. Started off annoying, got so bad I could barely understand spoken words, then media player started skipping as well. Turns out the problem was a hard drive going bad. What is happening is that it is taking longer and longer to read/write data on your hard drive, hanging up everything.

I have multiple hard drives, so it was easy for me to run a test. With nothing else running at all, I transferred 10GB from one hard drive to the drive I store torrents on. This should take 10, maybe 15 minutes - it took 3.5 HOURS! Changed the hard drive, all my problems went away. BTW - I didn't know it, but my torrent download speed was also severely affected by this problem - I just thought it was slow seeders, but it was my hard drive all along.

If you have multiple hard drives, simply switch the utorrent download directory to a different disk - if things go back to normal, this is your problem. Torrents are really hard on disks - a disk going bad could be the root cause of a lot of problems reported here in the forums, so it's a good idea to check your disk transfer speeds before reporting a problem.

Here's an update from me.

I now have no overclock at all, and I'm using the very latest uTorrent, and the problem still exists. I've noticed that if I shut down uTorrent and start it again, the problem has gone. But after uTorrent has been running for many hours, it starts to appear again.

I think the problem is caused when uTorrent gets pretty 'busy'. I have 20 or so torrents being shared constantly, so when I add a few more and it's all been running overnight, it starts to get bogged down and the crackling and stuttering starts. It's strange because this never used to happen on this exact same PC, when I was on Win XP. It's only started happening since I got Win 7, although I also upgraded my graphics card at the same time, and I got a SSD.

Also, I don't use Zone Alarm.

Archived