Download speeds are RIDICULOUSLY slow.

wantfastcars

I am using BitTorrent, and I'm trying to download an incredibly large file (6.27GB), which I respect will take a VERY long time. What I don't get is why my download speed tested (on multiple sites) as 100,000 kb/s+, and my file is downloading at 5, 6, or if I'm lucky 8 kb/s. Is this just something I'm gonna have to deal with, and hope that it speeds up eventually? Is this some issue with the server for the file? What is restricting my download speeds so much? 'd really appreciate any help - it says 10 days, and assuming I can get maybe 8 hours in a day, that's gonna take a month to download.... In the words of Leeloo, "Please help."

- Sam

Hello,

I have a feeling it's related to the file you're trying to download, and not to your application or settings. Some files, regardless of the reported number of seeds, are just slow.

Try downloading a very popular and very new torrent, like Lost's latest episode, and see how your speed is on that file.

Loa

Switched to uTorrent, which unfortunately lost me the 8% I had. However, though still slow, it is a constant download with more peers and a reliable seed, so I guess I'm happier. I would still appreciate instructions on how to forward a port, or any tips to speed it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived