Orange Exclamation Mark - What Does It Mean?

Fenno

First, I must say that I am a bit of a vegie when it comes to the workings of computers, etc. I recently started downloading, had a rocky start but with help it started to work. I then wanted to watch on my laptop or TV as it's not that comfortable watching on my desk pc. It was suggested I buy an external hard drive, which I did. Then I didn't know how to transfer from desk top to ext HD. Friend changed the uTorrent Directories Preferences so everything went to Drive F. However since then after a day or two, everything I had downloaded went from green pointing up arrow to orange exclamation mark with rremark under Status 'Error" Can't open.torrent...."

I was a bit horrified, but later learnt that I can still watch the downloads, if I right click onto the file and clikck onto Open Containing Folder, rather than just Open. That was good, however it meant I assume that no-one could upload from me, so didn't help my ratio. I have tried to find what the problem is on the Forum of both uTorrent and my host but nothing comes close. Since then, I tried something out - I did 1 left click onto the file and then clicked the big green Start button at the top of the uTorrent screen. Now something is happening - as I go through them one by one, they had Status as 'Checking' and the size and Done went back to normal quite fast. So I will continue to do this with each file, but I would love to know what I did wrong and how I can avoid this. It maybe that they revert to orange exclamation mark in a day or two, don't know. But am sure someone could explain what has happened. I would revere you and bow down to your advice, even though you won't see me doing it!

No replies anyone? Now I find that every time I turn off my computer, all the newly downloaded files have this exclamation mark so I have to Start them all again, one by one. Doesn't take long, but I would like to know what I'm doing wrong. Hasn't anyone experienced this?

Ooh, thanks for answering. I just restarted my computer so I would get all those exclamation marks back alongside the files I have downloaded since a friend changed the files to go onto my F drive which is the external hard drive. It says: Error: Can't open.torrent file:F\Movie Downloads\Lark Rise to Candleford Ep10 etc.

It's kind of like the files break up when I turn the computer off. I then have to highlight a file, then the right pointing green arrow shows up, I hit that and then the size is show, under Done the percentage goes up quite fast and under Status it says Checked and the percentage rising. i have to do that with each and every file and it's a pain to turn off the computer knowing I have to go through that each time.

Can you help?

Archived