SLOW speeds

kirefire

ok i have checked my connection speed it is ok. I have port forwarded. I have upgraded firmware on my router. I have checked my firewall. I have done everything that i know or have seen in the forums. I cant get over 4kb/sec. I used to get at least 50kb/sec with my old isp which was dsl. Now i have a high speed wireless that checks out ok with the speed test. How can i fix this problem it is driving me insane

Uninstall Norton and use other firewall/antivirus applications.

Antivirus: NOD32, Kaspersky, PC-cillin, or AVG

Firewall: Windows Firewall, Outpost, Look'n'Stop, ZoneAlarm, and some others I'm forgetting right now...

If you don't choose any of those, just make sure what you do choose is not listed as an incompatible software in the FAQs.

THANK YOU!!!! I think that might have done it. Does that mean that my ISP is throttling. If so I will go down to their office and make sure that they stop. If they are and they stop then will I get higher speeds?

What would be a realistic download speed with my connection? I have a basic connection of 350/119 when I did the speed test.

Sorry about the double posting. The speed is kbps. I was getting a download speed of about 20 or so and I can live with that if I have to but now it has dropped down to about 7. It should be higher than even 20 or at least I would think so. With a decent file about how fast should it be then if that speed is in kbps? So if they are throttling, then is this as good as it gets or are there any other tricks or something to bypass it. Also, if they are throttling is there anyway that I might be able to persaude them to let me get a fast connection. This is the only highspeed providor around. It is in a pretty hick area. If I threaten to beat the hell out of the service guy or pay him a little extra whichever works can he turn it on for me. I know that is not in the spirit of peer groups but at this point I am pretty frustrated.

heh... i have the same problem.. out 25 miles from the nearest large town I am lucky I can even get sioux valley "wireless" internet at all, and lucky that I can get 512k speeds, but they were throttling bandwidth.. perhaps connection through the sort of wireless microwave style transmission they use over the long distance is more difficult.. who knows, .. I suggest keep using the tweaks .. I inquired about faster speeds back when we were capped at 256k and they eventually raised everyone to 512.

There have been occasions when I've downloaded large 7 GB plus files over days and I haven't gotten complaints from them yet... nor do I expect them... I pay for it.

Sorry to post this here, but for some reason i can't start a thread. I just got this program and am wondering, is it normal to have a 20 kBps download rate, varying down to 10 and as high as about 22. Also, I followed the port forwarding instructions but when I test the port it says its not conifigured correctly.

Archived