Relationship of Queue Priority and Download Speeds?

justchillin

OK, well I have read tons of posts, guides, etc. on this forum, and well as extensively searched until my eyes are just swelling up and blurring over now. I currently have all the settings on the latest 2.0 revision of uTorrent set up as the speed guide has recommended; although I have played around with different settings as recommended by various people and moderators on this forum, but all to no avail.

What I am having trouble understanding is why my high priority torrents continue to download at crawling rates while uTorrent then keeps activating other torrrents way down my queue, like my 5th, 6th, or 7th priority ones and then downloads them at blazing rates. I'm sure this is due to my own ignorance, but I can't understand why my 5th priority torrent which has only 3(8) seeds and 7(28) peers downloads at 75 to 110kB/s while my No. 1 priority queued torrent with 11(272) seeds and 44(1595) peers creeps along at less than 2 kB/s. I will attempt to insert a screen shot below as an example of what I am talking about and hope it will provide enough information for someone to give me an idea on what I am not understanding:

2625169480055203473xAfiRP_th.jpg

By the way, with my max 512 kbits/sec upload connection my max active torrents is set to 3 and max downloads set to 2, yet there always seems to be 4, 5, or 6 active downloads at any one time. Does anyone have any ideas why any of this is happening?

And also, one other nubee question: What is the number before the parenthesis and the number inside parenthesis actually represent for the number of peers or seeds? As in this:11(272). I have several guesses but I don't know the real answer. It could mean the number of peers online or offline, or teh number of peers available vs. how many my uTorrent has "chosen" to connect to. If my latter guess is correct, then it disturbs me why more connections are not made if so many more are available. Anyway, no point in guessing if someone would be kind enough to inform me of the facts. :)

Edit: Well it looks like my printscreen image turned out quite small in the post. I hope you can either zoom in on it or click on it to go to the website where it is hosted to see it properly. :)

Queue order has absolutely no bearing on speeds. Why does µTorrent activate more torrents? Because your currently-started torrents are crawling as you described, so µTorrent tries to start other torrents in hopes of maximizing available bandwidth utilization.

Thanks for you very prompt reply! :) (I can't seem to be able to quote you?)

But OK, I understand what you are saying, and uTorrent is maxing my connection. But what I don't understand is why are the higher priority torrents crawling? They appear to have an order of magnitude larger number of seeds and peers to draw from than the lower priority torrents, yet the lower priority torrents are blazing along at high speeds. Why is that?

Archived